Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanisr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Someone knows how to turn it off? even when i click on sleep for a lot of time... nothing happens

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Oddly - I could not find a way to do it directly.

The only way I've found is to not touch/interact with the nano for 36 hours or so - not sure how long but after some amount of time it will automatically turn off - it is very odd that you cannot turn it off though :) - the one time on a plane you can say this device does not power off :)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Some new findings -

Timer can be set to turn off Nano when done

turn off iPod nano (press the Sleep/Wake button) - This just sleeps the iPod - Apple seams to confuse off and sleeping! :)

The index of turn iPod off - goes to an area that tells you how to sleep the iPod

So I think just not touching the thing is the best way - or the timer way

Shanisr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
the timer function is available for "sleep" not to turning off the device...
i looked in the manual and there's nothing in it, although they mention "turning off the device" without explaning how

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
the timer function is available for "sleep" not to turning off the device...
i looked in the manual and there's nothing in it, although they mention "turning off the device" without explaning how

See page #15

Apple Inc. said:
About the Battery
iPod nano has an internal, non–user-replaceable battery. For best results, the first time you use iPod nano, let it charge for about three hours or until the battery icon shows that the battery is fully charged. If iPod nano isn’t used for a while, the battery might need to be charged.

Note: iPod nano continues to use battery power after it’s been turned off.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
In typical Apple form they are being vague here. You can never really turn it off. It essentially goes to sleep, and or deep sleep after a period of time. Shutting the screen off is the closest you get to powering the device off manually.

Defect or not, it is (Apparently) by design. Though you could always disassemble the iPod and remove the battery to power it down :p .

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Note: the 5G nano manual (on page 16) also says that the nano continues to use some battery even while off, so the situation is really no different between the 5th and 6th gen. Both have a "sleep" mode rather than an "off" mode.

For the 6G, make sure there is no music playing, the pedometer is not running, and the stopwatch/timer is not running. Hit the sleep/wake button and that is as "off" as it gets.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
It's got a clock, so naturally it will use some power when not otherwise in use. The main difference here is that apple decided there was no benefit to clearing down the entire device memory.

Shanisr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
It's got a clock, so naturally it will use some power when not otherwise in use. The main difference here is that apple decided there was no benefit to clearing down the entire device memory.

but the problem is that when i want to put it in my pocket... if it accidentally click on the wake botton the whole screen is responsive and can start playing songs or anything else... i cant "lock" it

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
but the problem is that when i want to put it in my pocket... if it accidentally click on the wake botton the whole screen is responsive and can start playing songs or anything else... i cant "lock" it

One of the many reasons I purchased the previous version Nano last week as opposed to the new one. There are some design traits that are incompatible with how I want to use a device like this.

No lock switch was one of the issues for me too.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010

Only really responsive to finger touch tho. Not going to get clicked by your keys or something. The capacitive screen is a good design decision, pairing pressure switch with non-pressure detector.
I do wonder if the 'slide to wake' of the iPhone would have been a nice option. But I do see the benefit to being able to quickly access the controls. Perhaps the traditional hold switch instead of a sleep clicky would be better?

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I remember that I have read the same post before, but I forget how to turn the nano 6 off with the right. I'm sure just lock the button is not a right way.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Electro-magnetic pulse (E.M.P.), perhaps? With Lithium rechargable batteries Apple has decided there is no real benefit to power off, and no negative aspect to only a sleep mode. One thing that irritates me is a long wait for any device to boot up. Power off a Touch and the time it takes to boot back up is nearly unbearable for a modern device. My new Dell PC boots up faster. I'm with Apple on this issue.

kingofbliss

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
This functionality is added in OS version 1.1. Update the OS. Hold on the sleep button for few seconds, your iPod will switch off. :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.