Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Up until now, I had no desire to have all of my movies on my computer. Now I'm obsessed with ripping all of my DVDs and will have to upgrade my hard drive. I feel like ATV is going to give me more use out of my DVDs and TV DVDs.

When it comes to buying tv shows and movies, I still think I'll buy the disc version and rip it. I don't like the fact that if I ever leave the Apple system, that the media can't go with me due to DRM.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I already ripped all my DVDs and Blu-Rays prior to the Apple TV to the ISO format. Now I'm in the process of encoding just my DVDs to Apple TV format. As for Blu-Rays, well, it would be an insult to them to downgrade them to Apple TV formatting.

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Not sure if you're asking me or not, but I didn't have the original Apple TV and never had a desire to do so until now. I would assume that is the case for quite a bit of people.

+1...same here.

To the OP, I would recommend storing your ripped DVD's on an external HDD, if you're not doing so already. There's no reason to upgrade your internal HDD.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I have never owned an AppleTV, and am back and forth on the new one. Although at $99, I'm sure I will pick one up.

As for ripping...

I remember when I got my first Mac with iTunes and an iPod...I immediately started importing all my CDs, and God that took forever! It was an extremely painful process. I'm glad I did it, but i don't foresee doing this with DVDs. At least for now I still have the energy to walk over to the DVD player. :) We'll see if that lasts.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I have a laptop and would prefer to just have everything on my MacBook as opposed to plugging in an external drive.

The old Apple TV didn't interest me due to having to sync. Plus, up until this past January, I only ever had PCs and it was always misplacing my iTunes library, I wasn't about to spend the time ripping DVDs.

Prior to the new ATV being announced, I was considering a Mac Mini for a home theatre system. I liked the UI on my MacBook with movies, but don't like hooking my laptop up to the TV. I have a habit of surfing the interwebs while the TV is on.

I'm excited about the ATV, b/c I love Netflix and the UI. It's a much cheaper option than a Mac Mini. :D

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Why would the new Apple TV make you do that over the old one?

Indeed, the old Apple TV (of which I have two) got me ripping my DVDs. My iTunes library is around 1.2TB in size. It's centrally hosted on a Windows server and content is streamed to the Apple TVs.

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
The old Apple TV didn't interest me due to having to sync.

Interesting how some people still aren't aware that the original :apple:tv allows streaming, just as the new one will require streaming. The only thing that must be synced to view on the original :apple:tv are photos. Everything else streams just fine.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not sure why the new ATV makes anyone more likely to rip, unless they didn't buy the first model of course.

I don't own a ton of DVDs - about 100. The initial rip of movies wasn't bad, but the TV shows were a bit more work. The tagging was the real PITA. Now I just rip them as I buy them.

EDIT: Streaming works beautifully on the old ATV. The new one will be just as good I am sure.

nzlucas

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
London
Indeed, the old Apple TV (of which I have two) got me ripping my DVDs. My iTunes library is around 1.2TB in size. It's centrally hosted on a Windows server and content is streamed to the Apple TVs.

When you say server, do you just mean a headless pc in the closet or do you have to install a server OS? I know on Mac you can just turn on the apache feature for a website is this different? How do you access the content? do you just load it into itunes on the 'server' then turn on home sharing?

Bit of a noob on networking as i have never got to grips with setting up home wireless networks. If there any articles you know off that would help please share.

To OP, i have ripped lots of my movies to .avi to watch when travelling on my 12inch powerbook( i use VLC). But now i want to use them on :apple:tv and ipad i am a bit stuck as the file type is wrong plus i ripped them too lower quality to watch on a decent TV screen. I may have to convert them all again : ( moral is, make sure its the right file and size. Don't be picky about the space required and external HDD otherwise there is no point ripping them cause your harddrive will be full in no time (unless you only have 5 dvd's).

Cheers

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
Up until now, I had no desire to have all of my movies on my computer. Now I'm obsessed with ripping all of my DVDs and will have to upgrade my hard drive. I feel like ATV is going to give me more use out of my DVDs and TV DVDs.

Why would the new Apple TV make you do that over the old one?

+1

We literally wore our original TV out.
It was a perfect solution for the children to watch our movie collection without damaging and or losing the discs. I am a little disappointed that the new unit will not have local storage, but it certainly is NOT a deal-breaker.

Hopefully the new units will start shipping next week.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
When you say server, do you just mean a headless pc in the closet or do you have to install a server OS? I know on Mac you can just turn on the apache feature for a website is this different? How do you access the content? do you just load it into itunes on the 'server' then turn on home sharing?

Bit of a noob on networking as i have never got to grips with setting up home wireless networks. If there any articles you know off that would help please share.

To OP, i have ripped lots of my movies to .avi to watch when travelling on my 12inch powerbook( i use VLC). But now i want to use them on :apple:tv and ipad i am a bit stuck as the file type is wrong plus i ripped them too lower quality to watch on a decent TV screen. I may have to convert them all again : ( moral is, make sure its the right file and size. Don't be picky about the space required and external HDD otherwise there is no point ripping them cause your harddrive will be full in no time (unless you only have 5 dvd's).

Cheers

It's one of HP's MediaSmart Servers which run Windows Home Server: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10890534/ It did pretty much everything I needed straight out of the box.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

When it comes to buying tv shows and movies, I still think I'll buy the disc version and rip it. I don't like the fact that if I ever leave the Apple system, that the media can't go with me due to DRM.

Yes it has, bought a 2TB drive and enclosure and i have between now and Christmas to rip and encode all 600 of my DVD's, Very excited about the ability access all of them so quickly.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I have also started getting my iTunes library ready for the new Apple TV. I only have about 25 movies and a couple seasons of TV shows, but it'll will definitely get bigger.

Slightly off topic though, but does anyone know if streaming from an external drive connected to my AEBS to Apple TV through my MacBook will be good enough or will there be lag from going back and forth from my AEBS?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I have also started getting my iTunes library ready for the new Apple TV. I only have about 25 movies and a couple seasons of TV shows, but it'll will definitely get bigger.

Slightly off topic though, but does anyone know if streaming from an external drive connected to my AEBS to Apple TV through my MacBook will be good enough or will there be lag from going back and forth from my AEBS?

I do this and it works well. What I've learned:
Use a dual-band 802.11n AEBS (or Time Capsule).
Give the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks different names (SSIDs).
Connect the Apple TV and MacBook to the 5GHz network.
If your MacBook supports it, use Wake On Demand.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Nope in response to the OP, but....

The new ATV is going to make me more likely to watch my ripped DVDs.

DanMacApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I have been wanting for a while to rip all my DVDs so yes the new apple TV did give me a reason to start working on it. Though it sure takes a lot of time to rip all dvds. I hope the new apple TV makes it worth it!!!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
So all you rippers/converters, what tools/programs did you use on a Mac/PC, and what presets/settings please?

be interested to know what format etc that everyone is choosing, I've started using Handbrake>Apple TV preset on my Mac, and DVDCatalyst on my PC>Apple TV preset.

I then started do put a few movies through MetaX, iDentify2 for tagging the movie details, they look good on Apple TV when all tagged

cheers

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I do this and it works well. What I've learned:
Use a dual-band 802.11n AEBS (or Time Capsule).
Give the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks different names (SSIDs).
Connect the Apple TV and MacBook to the 5GHz network.
If your MacBook supports it, use Wake On Demand.

Sweet that's exactly how I was gonna have it set up. Although, isn't the old apple tv only 2.4GHz for wireless N? I didn't think it was dual band. Either way we know that the new one does have wireless N 5GHz so connecting to that and streaming shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Sweet that's exactly how I was gonna have it set up. Although, isn't the old apple tv only 2.4GHz for wireless N? I didn't think it was dual band. Either way we know that the new one does have wireless N 5GHz so connecting to that and streaming shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

I have the original Apple TV and it's dual band.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Mine have already been ripped but I started ripping my Dads. I am getting him an Apple TV so my Mom and I have been ripping his DVD collection. Even though her iMac is fast my Mac Pro is faster ;) I can rip 6 - 8 DVDs in the time it takes her to rip one lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.