Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manito2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Hello everyone...

I'm trying to see if it's possible to use my iPod Touch to record my lectures?

I speak into a microphone and would like to have a way to record the sound from the mixer directly to my iPod...

Is this possible?

What do I need?

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Do you move around a lot? It would be easier just to record directly with the included mic and it will probably capture you unless you are really covering miles when you walk around. I've found the mic to be pretty good actually, but haven't tried to use it to capture something like a lecture.

manito2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
I would need it to record directly from the mixer because of movement. I rarely speak from my lectern... :( I tried doing the built-in mic but the sound was not that good.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i was wondering, can you use the mic from the apple headphones or similar?

ghostshadow

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Indianapolis
If you're recording directly to the mixer, I would imagine a splitter would allow you to record directly to the iPod and to the mixer at the same time.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Hello everyone...

I'm trying to see if it's possible to use my iPod Touch to record my lectures?

I speak into a microphone and would like to have a way to record the sound from the mixer directly to my iPod...

Is this possible?

What do I need?

I know the mic'd headphones that Apple makes use a third contact for the mic. What might work is a standard A/V cable for a camcorder. This has 3 conductors total as well. You'd have to plug that cable into you iPods headphone jack. Then figure out which RCA end it's using for audio (it will be red, white, or yellow.). Whichever it is, plug that into the "tape out" RCA connection on your mixer. If you need any further help, feel free to private message me. I'm an Audio Visual professional by trade, and my specialty is rigging up non- standard things and making them work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.