Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PittAir

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I have the old apple TV for 2 years, works great.

Just got my new one today after ordering around Sept 1.

Plugged it in to my TV (Samsung LED 7000 series), and:

A picture of itunes with a mini USB cable pointing to it, ie, the "restore me" screen common to iphones.

So I connect it up to itunes (10.0.1), and itunes sees it. I click on "Restore."

Software downloads OK, unpacks, and then the "verifying with apple" screen comes up.

Goes through that, then I get a message: "Unable to update apple TV, your device not eligible for this build."

I try this on two different computers, same result.

I call apple support, and after about 60 minute, they have no solution.

Anyone have this problem? Anyone have a solution?

PittAir

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I know it's busted. The question is why and how.

Apple retail stores are not selling them yet in large quantities, and I suspect that the Genius Bars will be more clueless than usual given my interaction last night with Apple Support.

How exactly am I to "take it to Apple?"

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Sounds like you got a defective unit. It's not really important how or why, all Apple will need to know is that yours was DOA. It's frustrating, but it happens with electronics.

You either need to call Apple and arrange to ship it back for replacement, or take it into your Apple Store where I'm sure they can arrange to have it replaced. Either way you'll probably have to wait a bit because the store may not have any in stock yet.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I know it's busted. The question is why and how.

Apple retail stores are not selling them yet in large quantities, and I suspect that the Genius Bars will be more clueless than usual given my interaction last night with Apple Support.

How exactly am I to "take it to Apple?"

Why do you care about how and why? The how is probably related to it having a defective component. It does happen sometimes. And for the why? Well my guess is because God is super pissed at you for something you did.

Seriously, it doesn't really matter. DOA equals replacement unit. I bet that Apple already has replacement units on site that they will switch out with as these come from a different supply than the retail units. But if, not, it shouldn't take more than a day or so. Seems like they are getting small quantities nearly daily.

PittAir

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks for the advice.

I reported it DOA, and am shipping it back today for a new one. I wonder why it was defective, and if others had the same experience...

I have a lot of Apple stuff, and this is the first time this has happened to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.