Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
So I have two ATVs on the way, but I was wondering something about my desktop's communication with the device.

My Mac Pro uses a ton of energy, as you can imagine, so when I don't use it, I have it go to sleep within 3 minutes. My question is if the ATV is able to wake up my computer to grab content. I'd hate to be watching TV and then switching to my ATV to find I have to leave the room and move my mouse to jolt my computer awake. But I'd also hate to have my computer running constantly just for those few times a day I'll want to use ATV.

It's not the biggest deal, but I'm hoping the ATV can tell my computer to wake up for me :D

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I believe with a newer Apple router you can wake up newer Macs from sleep. YOu can check if your Mac has this function. Apple menu, about this mac, more info, airport and wake on wireless supported.

I don't have my Apple router up right now. Got FIOS about a month ago when I moved and haven't bothered to hook it up yet.

I could test without I suppose. But kid using new AppleTV right now. 3 yr old is watching gummi bear vids on YouTube. :D

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
So I have two ATVs on the way, but I was wondering something about my desktop's communication with the device.

My Mac Pro uses a ton of energy, as you can imagine, so when I don't use it, I have it go to sleep within 3 minutes. My question is if the ATV is able to wake up my computer to grab content. I'd hate to be watching TV and then switching to my ATV to find I have to leave the room and move my mouse to jolt my computer awake. But I'd also hate to have my computer running constantly just for those few times a day I'll want to use ATV.

It's not the biggest deal, but I'm hoping the ATV can tell my computer to wake up for me :D

In the energy savings optipns, make sure you checked "wake for network access"

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
thanks, guys!

Can't wait to check it out when I get home as my ATV arrived and it's waiting for me to play :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.