Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
I've read most of the posts about Mac Mail issues, but none are quite like this. Like the others, my Mac Mail will receive, but not send, messages.

Four accounts are on Verizon, two on GoDaddy. Web mail works on all, Blackberry email works. Mac Mail does not. I have talked to Verizon (my ISP), taken my Mini to a Mac repair shop -- even installed a new (bigger) hard drive. I'm using Leopard, OS 10.5.8. I've tried setting authentication on. I've tried turning authentication off.

Every once in a while, one or two messages in the outbox will suddenly send, while the rest of the messages don't go anywhere. At the repair shop, the tech worked most of the day before getting them to send (one test message from each account), declared the computer fixed and sent it home. Once it was home and plugged in again, I was able to send one test email before it quit sending again.

Needless to say, this is very frustrating. Thanks for your suggestions!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
What do you mean when you "have checked settings" ? What are the settings for your outgoing mail server? Under Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts -> (your account) -> Account Information -> Outgoing Mail Server -> Edit Server List -> (your SMTP server) -> Advanced, is everything correct?

bartl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
All are correct -- as far as Verizon and the Mac tech have said. Default ports are selected: 25, 465, 587. As noted earlier, I have tried setting password authentication and no authentication. Sometimes Mail will try to send the message -- the pinwheel is spinning -- and sometimes the message goes straight into the outbox. Also, server name is set to outgoing.verizon.net.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Have you tried to create a new Account. I had a problem with Mail on my previous MBP-I would have to reboot the computer each time to get Mail to work. I finally had to delete the account and re-build it. I was using Gmail, so it may have been an IMAP issue.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I had the same problem that was resolved by using my ISP's SMTP server. I have AT&T, but I've heard of other ISPs that filter out SMTP traffic to help reduce bots sending spam.

Incoming mail server: mail.mac.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.att.yahoo.com

-Aaron-

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I had the same problem that was resolved by using my ISP's SMTP server. I have AT&T, but I've heard of other ISPs that filter out SMTP traffic to help reduce bots sending spam.

Incoming mail server: mail.mac.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.att.yahoo.com

-Aaron-

+1. I remember when I lived in S Florida, Bellsouth used to do the same thing.

Your incoming server should probably be mail.me.com, though. .Mac is dead; you did get the memo this morning, right? :)

bartl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
That didn't work. In fact, it took the account offline.

Didn't get the memo, but I don't use .Mac. Incoming has not been the problem--I've gotten everything sent to me -- only outgoing.

We've been Verizon customers for years. Not that they're perfect by any stretch, but about as good as any other.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Ok so what are your settings for your SMTP server?

Mine are as follows :

Account Info :
Description : MobileMe
Server name : smtp.me.com

Advanced :
Use default ports (25,465,587)
Use SSL
Authentication : Password
Username : <the portion to the left of the @ symbol ONLY>
Password : Your password

scottrussell

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Same predicament

I've read most of the posts about Mac Mail issues, but none are quite like this. Like the others, my Mac Mail will receive, but not send, messages.

My Mac Mail client started doing the EXACT same thing for me a few days ago. I've had to use webmail to send all emails. I have not recently changed my settings & none of my email account details (me.com, yahoo plus, gmail) have changed to my knowledge in the past week.

Let me know if you figure this out!

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
My Mac Mail client started doing the EXACT same thing for me a few days ago. I've had to use webmail to send all emails. I have not recently changed my settings & none of my email account details (me.com, yahoo plus, gmail) have changed to my knowledge in the past week.

Let me know if you figure this out!

Try using the IP instead of DNS name for your SMTP server. Should be 17.148.16.31

Let me know.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I have had a simlar issue with a certan email service called GMX

It seems to correct the mail out adress to mail.gmx.net when it's .com.

It also will never let me change it, it still corrects itself.

I was just thinking it was a problem with your outgoing servers.

Not too sure though!

Maybe pop into a Apple Store see if they can figure it out!

ML:apple:

camig

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Armonk, NY
My wife had something similar happen. Mail would seem to be stuck in the sending queue. The problem with her's was a bad(invalid) to: address. I've seen this happen a few times. Corrected the address and everything got sent. Your problem sounds a little different but might be worth checking.

bartl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Chadamorrill, sorry, but I don't understand: "Try using the IP instead of DNS name for your SMTP server. Should be 17.148.16.31"

Where would I make that change?

I have taken the computer to an Apple authorized repair shop, and it seemed to work fine from that location. When I got it home, no luck.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Chadamorrill, sorry, but I don't understand: "Try using the IP instead of DNS name for your SMTP server. Should be 17.148.16.31"

Where would I make that change?

I have taken the computer to an Apple authorized repair shop, and it seemed to work fine from that location. When I got it home, no luck.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

Ok, work with me here. It sounds like you have a DNS problem. DNS is what links an IP address (like 17.148.16.31 or 192.168.0.1) to a domain name (like smtp.me.com or http://www.google.com). While you're at home, it seems like your provider is not allowing you to use 'smtp.me.com.' So we will try and use the IP address instead.

Open Mail
Click 'Mail' in the toolbar, then click 'Preferences'
Click on the 'Accounts' icon at the top of the Preference pane
Single-click your MobileMe account on the left (make sure 'Account Information' is highlighted on the right)
On the right side, down towards the bottom, you will see 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)'

What do you have listed there? (What is first? What other servers are in the list?)
Is the box checked that says 'Use only this server'?

Answer those questions and we'll go from there...

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I don't have a MobileMe account, but here are the servers listed:
These 2 are GoDaddy accts.:
bart@wellcentrix.com smtpout.secureserver.net
bart@strategybyDesign.net (offline) smtpout.secureserver.net

Three are on Verizon:
outgoing.verizon.net

One is smtp.gmail.com [a gmail account]

Sorry, I get it now. You referenced "Mac Mail" in your first post, but what you meant was the "OS X Mail application." Sorry, I thought you meant a Mac based (now MobileMe based) email account. My bad.

Let's focus on the GMail first (it is not working also, correct?). Are you opposed to deleting all your accounts except for GMail? (or can we create a new user account and try setting up OS X Mail with just your one GMail account?)

If so, please type in your settings for GMail (like this)
Account Info :
Description :
Server name :

Advanced :
Ports :
Use SSL : (Y or N)
Authentication :
Username :

C-Belle

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Mac Mail Won't Send from GoDaddy Account

I had this same issue earlier today when I tried to set up a godaddy account on my macmail client.

This is what I did:

Under "Account Information":

Account Type: POP
Description: doesn't matter
Email Address: USE FULL EMAIL ADDRESS
Incoming Mail Server: pop.secureserver.net
User Name: USE FULL EMAIL ADDRESS
Password: your password

Outgoing Mail Server: smtpout.secureserver.net
CLICK "Use only this server"

Under the"Advanced" tab:

Port: 110 (DO NOT CLICK "Use SSL")
Authentication: Password

Save all of that.

Now this is the part where you have to bear with me:

1. Open up a new email within your macmail client
2. Next to the "From" field, you should see another drop down menu with the outgoing servers (multiple servers listed if you have multiple accounts going to your macmail)
3. Click on "Edit SMTP Server List"
4. Choose the server that isn't working.
5. Under "Account Information", make sure the server name is correct. For godaddy, it should be "smtpout.secureserver.net"
6. Under the "Advanced" tab, click on "Use custom port:" and type: "3535"
7. Make sure "Use SSL" is UNCLICKED
8. Authentication should be "password"
9. username should be your entire email address
10. fill in your password if it is mysteriously missing.

Click "OK"

Burn some incense, chant, and then try to send some emails.

That's what worked for me. The glass of wine didn't hurt. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.