Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Hello everyone. Thank you for reading my post. I have an older G4 with a 160GB HD that is mostly full. I purchased an external HD made by Western Digital. It has both Firewire and USB as options to connect to my computer and I chose the Firewire option. I would love to be able to put all of my iTunes library on the external drive. This is about 90GB. I realize that I could simply use the external HD as a backup, but what I'd really love to do is put everything except the OS (which is 10.5.8). Can I do this? And, if so, how?

I realize that this might be a kind of long and painful thing to try to explain, so if someone could simply send me to an article on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, in advance, for any replies.

P.S. The external drive is a 1TB size and it formats out to 930.5GB without and partitions.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

On the 1TB/932GB issue:

Hard Drive Size Discrepancy

Why does my new 500 GB hard drive report it only has 465 GB? Have I been ripped off?
No, you haven't been ripped off. 500 GB = 465 GB, strange as it seems.
The reason is that computers count a "kilo" something as 1024 (binary 2^10) while the rest of the world count a "kilo" as 1000 (decimal 10^3). A 'mega' in computer binary system is 1024 x 1024 = 1,048,576 (rather than decimal 1,000,000), and a 'giga' is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,073,741,824 rather than decimal 1,000,000,000
This creates a discrepancy of approximately 7% between the number of GB the computer reports, and what is advertised as the drive's capacity in GB. It is important to note that there is no difference in the number of actual bytes of storage - it is only a difference in reporting when the binary 'giga' terminology is used.
A 500 GB hard drive has about 500,000,000,000 bytes (it is never exact, commonly a drive is designed to have more bytes, to allow for a certain number of defective sectors to be mapped out). When counted on the computer, 500 Gb (decimal) = 500 billion bytes = 465.66 GB (binary).
Some propose using a different term, gibibyte (GiB) for the binary figure, however that is unlikely to catch on in the marketplace.

further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_drive#Capacity_measurements

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Thank you for replying to my post. I wasn't complaining about the actual size of the HD. I know that it is always less than the advertised capacity. Although, I have to admit that I did not realize that it will always be approximately seven percent.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
that should answer your question , and yes it will take a while to move 90gb

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

after you done that you got 90gb less on the 160 gb harddrive and a itunes library as big as 1tb if you wish

if you wish it to be partitioned , just open applications - ultilities- disc utility - select your external drive and partition it (apple journaled extended)

ok you did not want a backup , but i would create a small backup partition of 160gb , because f you do the backup with carbon copy cloner and because its a firewire external it would be bootable too so no worry's if the internal fails one day ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.