Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
On the PowerMac G5, can I install any future versions of the Mac OS? For example, I know I can install OS 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 but can I install 10.6 on this particular model? So, as long as the model meets the OS requirements then I can install any future OS's on this model? I know OS 10.6 is the latest and greatest.

Thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Mac OS X10.6 Snow Leopard is for Macs using the Intel CPUs, thus limiting it to Macs, which have been released since 2006. The Power Mac G5, using IBM CPUs, can only take up to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
With all this said, Leopard makes the most sense for your hardware, FYI. So long as you have 1GB+ of RAM, it'll perform almost as well as Tiger, with many more features (and much better software support--there are lots of UBs for new software, but many of them are only good for 10.5+). The only good reason to keep a G5 on 10.4 is if you need Classic support.

mr1970

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Probably also worth saying that I noticed far less of a jump going from Leopard to Snow Leopard than I did going from Tiger to Leopard. SL is fractionally quicker (presumably because they've tidied it up by ditching all the PPC code) and has some minor UI enhancements but Leopard brought a bunch of good stuff including, critically for me, Time Machine.

I have a maxed out G5 (4GB RAM and 1.5TB) running Leopard and a new MBP and other than the fact that the MBP is a bit quicker I really don't notice the OS differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.