Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I was about to do a restore on my iPod 5th generation 80GB to have it set up with my Mac mini. When I went to turn it on, nothing happened. It did flash a few times just white with about 30 seconds in between, but now it won't do a thing. I thought it was just a dead battery, so I plugged it in: No response. I have it plugged in now to see if it is just the battery being completely depleted. I tried holding Menu+Enter with nothing happening. Hard drive doesn't make noise and screen stays off. Is my beloved first iPod dead? :(

FixYouriTunes

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
San Francisco
It certainly sounds like it. I have a problem with my Classic iPod where I have a big red X on the screen. It keeps going back to the red X when I turn it on but while in that mode I hear the internal hard drive clicking.

For yours I would just leave it off for a while and maybe come back to it. I've had iPods since 2003 starting with the 30GB white iPod. I believe it was the 2nd generation and it died a couple of times but I physically changed the battery and it worked a while longer (although not as good as it did prior) and continued using it until it completely died. Which was last year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.