Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hannah9000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Ok, so following the issues I had with not being able to install ANYTHING or do any software updates, i've decided to reformat and reinstall Mac OSX. First problem, when I boot from disc, it allows me to select language then says 'Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer' so I completely format the hard drive and try again. No luck. Same message. WHY can't the Mac OS X be installed on this computer?!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What Mac OS X version came with that Mac, what specific Mac do you use and what exact Mac OS X version (10.x.y, Retail or Restore DVD) do you want to install? Did the DVD you want to install from come with the Mac you want to install on (>> grey Restore DVD)?

hannah9000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
What Mac OS X version came with that Mac, what specific Mac do you use and what exact Mac OS X version (10.x.y, Retail or Restore DVD) do you want to install? Did the DVD you want to install from come with the Mac you want to install on (>> grey Restore DVD)?

According to a serial number check, the Mac came with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger when it was first built. The shop I bought it from have provided me with grey install discs Version 10.5 - 'For Mac Computers' they said these were the discs they used for the original install (which was leopard beta for some reason so I think they're fibbing).

I've got a Powermac G5 which had 10.5 on it, beta version, which didn't let me do anything hence the reformat...

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
According to a serial number check, the Mac came with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger when it was first built. The shop I bought it from have provided me with grey install discs Version 10.5 - 'For Mac Computers' they said these were the discs they used for the original install (which was leopard beta for some reason so I think they're fibbing).

I've got a Powermac G5 which had 10.5 on it, beta version, which didn't let me do anything hence the reformat...

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was released in 10/2007, the last PowerMac G5 was released in 10/2005, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was released in 4/2005, thus if you have a PowerMac G5 bought after April 2005 (not by you of course), it came with Tiger. Those grey DVDs for Leopard you have are beta versions obviously and the beta might have already expired (I don' know about Apple's beta policy). Don't you have the original grey Restore DVDs with Tiger on it? If not, you need to buy the RETAIL version of Mac OS X Leopard, there is no way around it and you have to spend the money. Or you can live with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and contact Apple about sending you replacement DVDs for that PowerMac, it should cost around 15 to 30 USD.

hannah9000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was released in 10/2007, the last PowerMac G5 was released in 10/2005, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was released in 4/2005, thus if you have a PowerMac G5 bought after April 2005 (not by you of course), it came with Tiger. Those grey DVDs for Leopard you have are beta versions obviously and the beta might have already expired (I don' know about Apple's beta policy). Don't you have the original grey Restore DVDs with Tiger on it? If not, you need to buy the RETAIL version of Mac OS X Leopard, there is no way around it and you have to spend the money. Or you can live with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and contact Apple about sending you replacement DVDs for that PowerMac, it should cost around 15 to 30 USD.

Thank you kindly, just as I thought. I don't know what this company is playing at!! Will give them a piece of my mind come Monday...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.