Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
For some reason, when I log a network user on a client Mac, it works fine -- but when I go to switch to another network user account (without logging off the original network user), it tells me they can't be logged in because of an "error". When I log the other person out, I can then go ahead and login that second user just fine.

Is it possible for two people from the same network to be logged in at the same time (fast user switching, that is) on the same computer?

CrazyCleave

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
For some reason, when I log a network user on a client Mac, it works fine -- but when I go to switch to another network user account (without logging off the original network user), it tells me they can't be logged in because of an "error". When I log the other person out, I can then go ahead and login that second user just fine.

Is it possible for two people from the same network to be logged in at the same time (fast user switching, that is) on the same computer?

No, Fast User Switching does not support multiple *network* accounts. (Unless the second account authenticates on a second OSX server.) You can't have two credentials mounting the same network volume.

Cleave

Randy53215

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
Greenfield, WI (U.S.A.)
Hmmm not sure if it's different when using a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 as opposed to a Mac OS X server.

Let me clear up my situation...

We just got 20 Mac Mini's for our lab, we also purchased a Mac Mini Server but we have to get the Mac Mini's in the lab ASAP for student projects then integrate the Mac server later.

However can someone explain to me why on one of our Macbook Pro's we can login 4+ network accounts without any problem yet on our Mac Mini's we cannot do that. This is just really puzzling and there seems to be no answer anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.