Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hi guys,

I've had my iPhone 4 for a couple of months now, and one of the things I loved about it was the great battery life it got compared to the original 2G iPhone I had previously.

But suddenly (in the last few days or so) the battery life is awful. I can practically sit and watch the percentage go down. Same usage, notifications are still OFF, and everything else seems to be the same... but now I'm getting lousy battery life.

Anyone have any thoughts or solutions ??

Thanks!

P.S. -- Version is 4.1

jobless

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Hi guys,

I've had my iPhone 4 for a couple of months now, and one of the things I loved about it was the great battery life it got compared to the original 2G iPhone I had previously.

But suddenly (in the last few days or so) the battery life is awful. I can practically sit and watch the percentage go down. Same usage, notifications are still OFF, and everything else seems to be the same... but now I'm getting lousy battery life.

Anyone have any thoughts or solutions ??

Thanks!

P.S. -- Version is 4.1

man that sucks. If restore don't work, try this out theory. Charge your phone through a computer/laptop (no outlet) and see if it make any difference.

If none don't work you might have dead battery...

iRepair

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Orange County, CA
This can happen when you use a third party charger for your iPhone instead of an original Apple charger. If you have already fully restored the iPhone through iTunes and the problem still persists you should be able to take your iPhone back to Apple and have it replaced under it's original 1-year warranty.

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Does the battery level drop wherever you are, or is it just when you're in one certain place?

I ask because I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago and it turned out that the cell tower near my office was down and the iPhone just kept looking for a signal all the time running the battery completely flat in 4-5 hours with no usage.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Does the battery level drop wherever you are, or is it just when you're in one certain place?
It seems to be everywhere. Very strange.

Question: When a full Restore is done on the iPhone, what items are removed that DO NOT get put back on by re-syncing?

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hey guys, just an update: I closed down everything that was running in the background (as noted in the above article) and I think it's helping.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Im not having a good run either with the battery in my iPhone 4, everything was fine up until I upgraded to iOS 4.1 ! :(

It is so stupid that we cannot roll back the software to even 4.0.2 as that was fine and my battery life was fantastic.

I have been offered a replacement from the Genius Bar, however it's not going to be one out of a brand new box when I actually bought my iPhone 4 brand new :(

Im just worried that the replacement iPhone 4 will have issues

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Im not having a good run either with the battery in my iPhone 4, everything was fine up until I upgraded to iOS 4.1 ! :(

It is so stupid that we cannot roll back the software to even 4.0.2 as that was fine and my battery life was fantastic.

I have been offered a replacement from the Genius Bar, however it's not going to be one out of a brand new box when I actually bought my iPhone 4 brand new :(

Im just worried that the replacement iPhone 4 will have issues
Mine is doing better since I shut down all the apps running in the background (there were LOTS of them) but still not as amazing as before 4.1

I personally would not want a "non-new" replacement unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.