Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can give me a hand on a problem I am having.

I downloaded a family guy episode of a torrent the other day, it seems that the aspect ratio of these files are 4:3 if I'm not mistake ( ie on my AppleTV they appear narrow horizontally). Now I found a way to fix this by changing my sanding tv video settings from 16:9 to wide screen.

There is another option called "just scan" but that seems to do nothing in terms of fixing my issue. What I thought the tv can do is some sort of auto adjustment based on the video input, and that what I thought the just scan would do. It turns out that it doesn't.

So from the looks of it, each time i was to watch family guy I have to change my video settings on the tv, which of course is not a big deal. But my question for you guys, am I missing something? Is there a solution I don't know of?

I hope you guys can give me a hand hear and thanks in advance

Oh some addition info, my tv is a 52" samsung tv 1080p and the tv show was converted from .avi to .mov using iflicks "HD 720p" preset.

Thanks
AE

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Sounds like the files are 16:9 but have been encoded to play back as 4:3. Are they episodes from this season, that have aired in 16:9? Are black bars encoded into the video, or have they been cut from the file?

Reconvert the avi files or use a program like MPEG Streamclip to change the display ratio without converting.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Sounds like the files are 16:9 but have been encoded to play back as 4:3. Are they episodes from this season, that have aired in 16:9? Are black bars encoded into the video, or have they been cut from the file?

Reconvert the avi files or use a program like MPEG Streamclip to change the display ratio without converting.

Hi,

I'm not sure if they were originally 16;9, i just used iflicks "HD 720p" preset to convert them. It worked for all my other files except the family guy.

They are torrent files is there a way to determine what the aspect ratio of the original file it?

Thanks
AE

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Sorry to bring this up again,

But I have 8 sessions of family guy already converted to .mov. I cant seem to find a solution to this without reconverting. I'm pretty sure the avi files are 4:3 ratio as well so its no how I converted them.

Any way to convert the aspect ratio without reconverting the files?

Thanks in advance.
AE

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
My advice:

Use Handbrake, choose the Universal preset, queue them all up to convert, and let them convert while you sleep/go to school/work/etc.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
My advice:

Use Handbrake, choose the Universal preset, queue them all up to convert, and let them convert while you sleep/go to school/work/etc.

I appreciate your advice but thats not going to work. From the looks of it and how .avi play on itunes (perian installed), they are in 4:3 already. its not iFlicks fault.

Unless using handbrake I can specifically say encode using a 16:9 aspect ratio and it will automatically convert them to that as it encodes?

is that possible

Thanks
AE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.