Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IanMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
A few years ago my white 24 inch iMac blew its video card.
The cost of repair was prohibitive, so I bought a new Al 24 inch iMac.

The old white iMac has been sitting there doing nothing.
Is there a way I can use it as a second monitor by opening it up and somehow bypassing the blown video card?

Thanks in advance,

IanH, England.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo
There is no way to use an iMac as a monitor (except the 27" iMac) sucks for sure. I remember everyone was demanded this feature.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Your iMac doesn't have a video input so not really. Maybe with some über-hacking that you take the LCD from the iMac and then somehow put it to another enclosure with suitable connectors. I've never heard of anybody doing that and a new display would likely be cheaper

IanMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Chop chop

I was imagining ripping out everything but the LCD and its ribbon cable and fitting a bit of hardware (if I can get it) that has the ribbon socket at one end and a monitor cable at the other...

I seems a waste to just lob a 24 inch screen into the skip.

IanH

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You could sell it in eBay for parts. Someone may have a dead display but otherwise a working computer and he may buy yours to make his working again.

Trimmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
iMac logic board

Hi Ian, I'm interested in the circumstances around which your video card blew .... There seems to be a common fault on these machines and wondered if yours was the same - strange graphics anomalies and program freezing when the machine warmed up ??

moorahow

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Hi Ian, I'm interested in the circumstances around which your video card blew .... There seems to be a common fault on these machines and wondered if yours was the same - strange graphics anomalies and program freezing when the machine warmed up ??

Hi, Trimmer! I have the same problem with my white iMac. It stops working when gets warm. Before freezing the screen blinks and strange shapes appear. Unfortunately there's no opportunity to continue using it. I thought to make it work as an external monitor. In vain!
So the only way is to throw it away. Or...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.