Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcgregor37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I've got an early 2005 model Power Mac G5.
Bought it from a hospital and it's really clean inside.
Lately it's been shutting down spontaneously without warning.
I thought it might be an issue with overheating, but I'm not that familiar with normal heat levels for a CPU.

I installed iStat nano and checked the temperatures.
I took a screen shot of the widget.
Temperatures are in Fahrenheit.
Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?
What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Power Mac G5 (early 2005)
PowerPC G5
Dual 2.3GHz
2 GB DDR SDRAM
Model Number: A1047

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,078

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
No, the 2.3ghz is not a liquid cooled Powermac. Only the 2.5/2.7ghz duals and the Quad.

You would be surprised at the error messages that happen with old or bad hard drives or wonky dvd drives. Check this first. ALWAYS make sure you have new hard drives when buying an old Powermac g5.

Then make sure the ram is working right, switch around the positions with the matched pairs.

There was a recall on the Powersupply on the mid 05 last revision powermac as you have. Don't know if this is theproblem or not.

Call Apple, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll replace the powersupply

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Mine used to shut down when the graphic card overheated because the drivers for it were wrong and so the fan on the gpu didnt work.

I'd be working away and the mac would just switch off with no warning.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2009
MN
No, the 2.3ghz is not a liquid cooled Powermac. Only the 2.5/2.7ghz duals and the Quad.

You would be surprised at the error messages that happen with old or bad hard drives or wonky dvd drives. Check this first. ALWAYS make sure you have new hard drives when buying an old Powermac g5.

Then make sure the ram is working right, switch around the positions with the matched pairs.

There was a recall on the Powersupply on the mid 05 last revision powermac as you have. Don't know if this is theproblem or not.

Call Apple, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll replace the powersupply

Sorry, my bad. I forgot that is was only those two models.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
have a look on console and see if you can find any unusual events before it switches off

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Temps are perfect.
When G5 is overheating it just freeze, so temperature isn't your problem.
First reset PMU and PRAM. If you have multimeter, check PRAM battery voltage (it should be about 3.6V).
It could be bad PSU ofc but with symptoms like this it's hard to rule it out without having working spare one.

mcgregor37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Thanks, I'll keep you posted

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I've switched around the RAM and added 2 GB to give me a total of 4 (needed to do that anyway for HD video).

I'll be getting a new Hard Drive soon to replace the old one (just for good measure.)

I also tried resetting PRAM, but I couldn't get more than one chime, so I reset the PMU. After that I was able to reset the PRAM, so I'm hoping that did the trick.

Thanks again.

mcgregor37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
And it continues

Computer just shut down when I tried to download a driver for the wireless printer in the office.
I took a look at console, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Can anybody tell me if they see something funky with the console screenshot?
I did also have issues ejecting a CD yesterday, which makes me wonder about the wonky DVD drive idea.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 281
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.