Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I use the Otterbox on my IP4 when at work. Usually I take it off when I have my 3 days off or if I'm going out somewhere. So that's most likely around 3-4 times a week I take the case off and put it back on later.

It seems the rubber that goes over the hard case it getting kind of lose fitting. I notice it at the edges and especially feel it on the back near the Apple logo. Is this normal? Do they sell just the rubber cover by itself at any local chain stores? Anything I can do too shrink it a little, like leave it in the freezer overnight?

SeaChange

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
I would rather break my iPhone than put that bulky Otterbox Defender on it again. I used it for one day and put it back in the box. It adds like 2.5 times the bulk to the phone.

I use a gelaskin now just for art and some scratch protection

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I would rather break my iPhone than put that bulky Otterbox Defender on it again. I used it for one day and put it back in the box. It adds like 2.5 times the bulk to the phone.

I use a gelaskin now just for art and some scratch protection

I don't use it for the size or looks. :rolleyes:

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I use the Otterbox on my IP4 when at work. Usually I take it off when I have my 3 days off or if I'm going out somewhere. So that's most likely around 3-4 times a week I take the case off and put it back on later.

It seems the rubber that goes over the hard case it getting kind of lose fitting. I notice it at the edges and especially feel it on the back near the Apple logo. Is this normal? Do they sell just the rubber cover by itself at any local chain stores? Anything I can do too shrink it a little, like leave it in the freezer overnight?

I couldn't shrink it back.

Mine loosened up after a couple weeks of pocket use since the clip is useless.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Email or call Otterbox and they will ship you a new silicone cover. They are going to require a picture of the case along with a piece of paper that shows your name and the date. If you change your case that often then this is going to be an on going problem in the future.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
email Otterbox, I've gotten two already. As soon as this gets loose I'll send out another email. I know its a bitch to do that but rather have the otterbox defender than any other case.

austin571

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Knoxville
They sent me a new silicone case, but have decided to use the Ringkle with the Case Mate Tough - No problems the last 3 months. Then again I don't throw my phone off buildings like they do in the otterbox you tubes.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Yea, it's pretty normal for silicone to get all "floppy" with a lot of use. But good to hear Otterbox will replace it for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.