Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Hey guys,
I'm new to the Mac forum but I had a couple of them when I was younger (LC580 & Performa 6116CD). Anyway my Mac Mini is coming in a few weeks and I need to get a keyboard that matches it. I REALLY like the Apple keyboard but I won't be able to stand the one button mouse that goes with it. I'm also considering this but i've never seen it in person so i'm not sure. This is nice and would go with the Apple keyboard but i'm not so sure about the build quality. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what I should do? Looks are everything to me, also no wireless devices please.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I was just like you, I need a scroll wheel and two buttons. The MacMice are great. I have one of them and love it.

As far as keyboards go, I have an iBook so I don't have a keyboard but I've used the Apple keyboard many times on friend's Macs and it seems fine to me.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
You should try to get one that has at least one USB port on the back of the keyboard, so your two USB ports arent taken up on the Mac mini. The one you suggested doesnt say whether or not the USB port is on the keyboard or not. It definitely looks nice and would match the Mac mini nicely.

But I'd also suggest just going with Apple's mouse and keyboard. When I switched, I thought I would hate the one button mouse. Now, I don't hate it, I just dislike it. Also, the bluetooth deal is VERY hard to pass up... you get BT itself, BT keyboard and mouse for only $99 more.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
rtdgoldfish said:
I was just like you, I need a scroll wheel and two buttons. The MacMice are great. I have one of them and love it.

As far as keyboards go, I have an iBook so I don't have a keyboard but I've used the Apple keyboard many times on friend's Macs and it seems fine to me.

Just don't get The Mouse BT. Its terrible. I got it for christmas and took it back a few weeks ago. Theres a whole thread here on MacRumors with people bitching about it. Do a search and you'll find it.

Although, I've never used it, I haven't heard anything too bad about their USB mouse. So I'd go with that.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the fast reply guys. To answer your questions I did order the Mini with BT and WiFi however I absolutely do not want any wireless devices. The USB ports are not a problem since I have a 4 port hub built into my desk. I don't think i'll really need the two mouse buttons but I really like the scroll wheel for browsing the web. I will consider the MacMice and the Apple KB. Thanks for the suggestions!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Dude, don't get the MacMice. It's a crappy $10 mouse repackaged and sold for 5 times the cost. Avoid. Get a Microsoft, Kensington or Logitech mouse. They may not match perfectly, but trust me you'll be so much happier with them - they're actual QUALITY mice.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Raven VII said:
Dude, don't get the MacMice. It's a crappy $10 mouse repackaged and sold for 5 times the cost. Avoid. Get a Microsoft, Kensington or Logitech mouse. They may not match perfectly, but trust me you'll be so much happier with them - they're actual QUALITY mice.

Yeah that's what I figured. I was thinking on the way home from work that the MacMice is $32 & the Apple KB is $29 which = $61. While the Kensington set is only $50 including shipping. So I should eitheir go with the Kingsinton kit or maybe combine this with the Apple KB. That Studio Mouse looks really sexy and it will probably match the Apple KB well.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
If your looking for a mouse get an MX700 or MX900, I have an MX700 and it is by far my most favorite mouse. If you can afford it, get the MX1000, it is amazing.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I think I will be going with one of the logitech cordless notebook mice and the mac bluetooth keyboard.

These logitech mice have OSX drivers which a lot of the higher end Logitech mice do not. Plus a mini mouse with a mini mac sounds about right ;)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
jadam said:
If your looking for a mouse get an MX700 or MX900, I have an MX700 and it is by far my most favorite mouse. If you can afford it, get the MX1000, it is amazing.

if you dont want wireless get a mx510 mouse with a logictech keyboard.

Wireless you can get the MX700 dual set up. personly I love having a wireless keyboard and mouse

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Logitech and Macally

I bought an mx laser mouse and it is amazing. Having all of those buttons becomes indispensible once you get used to it. I have a Macally ice keyboard and it is nice, similar to the powerbook keyboard. I saw the kensington in person and it also looks very nice and has some dedicated buttons for iTunes. That keyboard was not available but I would consider it because it looks pretty slick. They had it at CompUSA in Hawaii. Although I did not see it available here in Louisiana. Best of luck. And if you get that kenington let us know how it is.

JMT529

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2004
SoCal
I am looking for a keyboard for my Mac mini as well. I only wish that Apple's current keyboard had a power button on it. Are there any nice keyboards that have a power button on them? I only seen like 3, the old Apple ones, a slim one from Kensington, and some ugly black one. Is there one that I do not know about? Thanks.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
I have a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop that I'm very happy with. They mouse and keyboard share the same receiver, so that still leaves one USB slot for you. The batteries last a long time, and the two-button/wheeled mouse seems to be what you're looking for.

I got my complete set before Christmas for $28 after rebate - I think they were moving the set up another version.

Found this on google, so these might still be around ..
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/ACC10802.html

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
JMT529 said:
I am looking for a keyboard for my Mac mini as well. I only wish that Apple's current keyboard had a power button on it. Are there any nice keyboards that have a power button on them? I only seen like 3, the old Apple ones, a slim one from Kensington, and some ugly black one. Is there one that I do not know about? Thanks.

I've seen a device that plugs into one of the USB ports on an Apple keyboard, and has a power button on it. Sorry, I'm too lazy to google it myself. :D

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Appled wireless keyboard & Logitech MX1000 Laser

I am using the Apple bluetooh wireless keyboard for my TiPB with D-Link USB bluetooth adaptor. It works like a regular keyboard (no latency whatsoever and I can wake up TiPB by touching any key on the bluetooth keyboard). I am using MX 1000 Laser mouse by Logitech for Al PB. That mouse is egornomically shaped and has nice feel to your grip. Many features to boot, as well (smooth scroll wheel, another set of scrolling buttons, side scrolling, and forward/backward for web browser,which I have not yet to work out maybe because I have not installed the CD which came with MX 1000 on my Al PB). I also have Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse for my HP Pavilion. That cordless mouse works like a champ (very accurate tracking and long battery life; it is still going for more than 2 months now; I keep this HP almost always on).

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Raven VII said:
Dude, don't get the MacMice. It's a crappy $10 mouse repackaged and sold for 5 times the cost.

I've heard this repeated a lot, but have seen no evidence. I have seen a lot of people with axes to grind point to clearly different mice and claim that they're identical to the macmice.

While I've certainly owned and used better mice than the macmice product, it's the only multibutton mouse my wife was willing to tolerate (since it looks essentially identical to the standard apple lozenge). She's design-picky that way and would never accept a Logitech anything just based on its appearance (even though it's a more functional mouse).

It works, anyhow. I have the USB version and have had no problems with it. I'd prefer a logitech MX1000, sure, but keeping the wife happy is more important.

-vga4life

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
JMT529 said:
This one from Adesso is the one I am currently using

http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=108

works great on panther, you just have to download the latest drivers. It has a power button and everything. it is an ergo keyboard though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.