Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeeeeeeeeeeeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Yesterday I was on facebook when my ibook g4 went black and turned off. There wasn't any beeping/flashing or anything but it won't turn on. When I press the little button on the battery 5 yellow lights light up so I guess the battery's fine but the laptop itself just died. If i can't get it fixed mum won't buy me a new one and i'll just have to deal with it, which i won't so please help me! :confused:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yesterday I was on facebook when my ibook g4 went black and turned off. There wasn't any beeping/flashing or anything but it won't turn on. When I press the little button on the battery 5 yellow lights light up so I guess the battery's fine but the laptop itself just died. If i can't get it fixed mum won't buy me a new one and i'll just have to deal with it, which i won't so please help me! :confused:

What CPU of iBook is this?

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
my parents had this happen to one of their laptops once. They clicked on a button to book a hotel and it just shut off. What had happened is the hard drive died. Just took a fat poop on em. So yeah haha. It could also be a motherboard problem though :p CPU's don't usually fail unless they were faulty to begin with.

JackT06

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009

I use to have this. It would happen every so often.

The way that i got around it was to take the battery and mains out of it. Then put it all back in and turn it on. I checked and i never had a faulty battery so i don't know why it use to do it.

beeeeeeeeeeeeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
thanks for your suggestions :) i found taking the battery out and putting it back in seemed to work, it's just a bit of a hassle. turns out i'm getting a new laptop soon anyway so i guess it all works out :) (and i have no idea what a CPU is, sorry. dont know anything about computers) also, i didnt buy it new, a friend of mine gave it to me when she upgraded and its about 5 or 6 years old or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.