Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Ok, I searched and didnt really find what I was looking for.

I am interested in the Splashtop app and I used the free version and it was amazing.

BUT, I cant confirm whether this will work over another Wifi such as at my job and away from my own or is it only your Wifi?

Anyone own it know for sure and can assist?

This app will help a ton with school and work...thanks so much in advance!!

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Ok, I searched and didnt really find what I was looking for.

I am interested in the Splashtop app and I used the free version and it was amazing.

BUT, I cant confirm whether this will work over another Wifi such as at my job and away from my own or is it only your Wifi?

Anyone own it know for sure and can assist?

This app will help a ton with school and work...thanks so much in advance!!

I believe you can, but there is some tweaking involved. I think I read on the site that they are working to make it easier to do. I for one am not great dealing with networks/ports/forwarding yada yada.

I ended up buying LogMeIn Ignition recently, and that was pretty painless in setting up; just download another free app from them and that's about it. The only downside is it's not cheap. It's $29.99, and was recently on sale for $19.99, which I paid. I decided it was worth the money to avoid the headache of me trying to manually configure Splashtop.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
They should make it as accessable as the air video app from outside networks. How hard would it be to just copy that method?

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
They should make it as accessable as the air video app from outside networks. How hard would it be to just copy that method?
It would not be the end of the world if hackers were able to watch your collection of Seinfeld episodes, but do you really want to go out of your way to make it as easy as possible for them to take control of your entire computer?!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping someone that had it used it and could answer.

I can keep searching the threads to see if someone may have the answer and how to set up.

I turned on my computer at home, got to work, and searched and it did not find my home computer so this might be the port forwarding thing or something. :mad:

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping someone that had it used it and could answer.

I can keep searching the threads to see if someone may have the answer and how to set up.

I turned on my computer at home, got to work, and searched and it did not find my home computer so this might be the port forwarding thing or something. :mad:
Yes, port forwarding is the only way. This is because when you connect to your IP address remotely you are not talking to your computer directly but your router. Port forwarding allows you router to 'pass on' the Splashtop data to your computer. It really is very easy to do, just consult the manual for your router or google "port forwarding" + whatever model of router you have. Just make sure the same port number that you forward on your router is entered in Splashtop on your computer & on your iPad.

Also note you will not be able 'search' for your computer from a remote network. You will have to connect using your IP address. Your router can tell you what this is. If you have a dynamic IP address like me you can use a service like No-IP to give you a domain name rather than IP adress.

Hope that helps.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Wow, that is a lot of awesome info that helps a lot but I am not tech savvy so this might not be the app for me.

I guess I can google and spend some time trying to figure it out but will suck testing each day if I didnt do it right from work and then trying again the next day. lol

So to try and put it in dumb words for my non computer self, i would look for the port in my manual of my router, enter that into the ipad app along with the computer IP address when Im away from my home?

Ill probably mess up something so I might just have to pony up the cash and get an easier set up one,lol.

Thanks for taking the time to help and break it down.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
you can use teamviewer, its free, there is just a client you need to install on your Mac / PC and you can then use it from anywhere you have an internet connection.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Wow, that is a lot of awesome info that helps a lot but I am not tech savvy so this might not be the app for me.

I guess I can google and spend some time trying to figure it out but will suck testing each day if I didnt do it right from work and then trying again the next day. lol

So to try and put it in dumb words for my non computer self, i would look for the port in my manual of my router, enter that into the ipad app along with the computer IP address when Im away from my home?

Ill probably mess up something so I might just have to pony up the cash and get an easier set up one,lol.

Thanks for taking the time to help and break it down.
Not quite that easy, sorry!

To forward a port you need to go to your router's configuration screen. If you don't know how to do this then you could google it or ask whoever set up your router.

You then need to tell your router to forward the Splashtop port (default is 6783) to the IP address of your computer on your network. This will probably start with 192.168. (mine is 192.168.1.14). You can find out your IP address by going to Network Preferences on a Mac or on a PC by pressing Start, Run, then typing "cmd" [enter] then type "ipconfig" [enter]. Sorry I can't help you with the actual port forwarding - as I said it is different with every router - but if you google your make of router perhaps someone will have done a tutorial for it.

Then you just need to configure Splashtop on your iPad by telling it your router's IP address. You can find this out by going to http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Just be aware that if you reboot your router/computer at any point your IP numbers could change.

Like I said it is not hard but I can see why you have might have problems if you are not tech-savvy. Although I have not used it I have heard that LogMeInIgnition (as mentioned already) is a lot easier to setup although it is quite expensive.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks Vert, downloading TeamViewer now to see if this will be my solution.

Does the computer have to be on all the time with TeamViewer or can I wake it from sleep mode via the app?

I just dont understand how its free compared to the pro that is $139?!?

I am trying your recommendation though and will test to see if it is a hard set up or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.