Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willwham1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
NYC area
I want to use both to speed up my logic 8 or make the best of what I have....what do I do? Please can some one walk me through this????

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I want to use both to speed up my logic 8 or make the best of what I have....what do I do? Please can some one walk me through this????

1) What machine do you have, as it will affect the advice
2) Im assuming, since you have 2HDs, you have a PowerMac (G4 or G5)

You cant use both to speed up Logic 8 (And it wont speed it up really either) - what you need is to max out the RAM (if you havent already done so), as that is the thing that speeds Logic up the most - If 1 HD is faster (more rpm) than the other, the only thing you could do is move your Samples, project files and loops across to the speedier drive - thats about all you can do I think.

willwham1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
NYC area
1) What machine do you have, as it will affect the advice
2) Im assuming, since you have 2HDs, you have a PowerMac (G4 or G5)

You cant use both to speed up Logic 8 (And it wont speed it up really either) - what you need is to max out the RAM (if you havent already done so), as that is the thing that speeds Logic up the most - If 1 HD is faster (more rpm) than the other, the only thing you could do is move your Samples, project files and loops across to the speedier drive - thats about all you can do I think.

I have a G5 dual 2.0 hd 160GB both 7200rpm....I only had 4 slots so i maxed out with 4 GB RAM.....now, knowing this, which would i do? Disk image? I am baffled

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have a G5 dual 2.0 hd 160GB both 7200rpm....I only had 4 slots so i maxed out with 4 GB RAM.....now, knowing this, which would i do? Disk image? I am baffled

In that case Im not sure you can speed up Logic in any significant way short of purchasing a SSD (only really worth it if you plan a Mac Pro upgrade in the long run). Since your G5 Dual 2.0 only has 4 slots, your unlucky (early G5 Dual 2.0s had 8, as do any Dual 2.3+ models)

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA

Are you using any sort of external audio hardware?

What kind of things are you doing with Logic?

What size files do you work with?

How many tracks (5-10, 15-50, 100+ etc.)?

Cheers

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
In that case Im not sure you can speed up Logic in any significant way short of purchasing a SSD (only really worth it if you plan a Mac Pro upgrade in the long run). Since your G5 Dual 2.0 only has 4 slots, your unlucky (early G5 Dual 2.0s had 8, as do any Dual 2.3+ models)

everymac.com says there are 4 2x2,0GHz versions, the first three have 8 slots and have a max. of 8GB, the last one (late 2005 model) has 8 Slots and 16GB of RAM possible.

The only PowerMac G5 hat has 4 RAM-Slots is the 1,6GHz and two of the several 1,8GHz (single and dual) versions. Is this a fault in the everymac.com database or did the threadopener just forget what model he has?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.