Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Hi All,
I'm new to this Forum.
I would like to ask, I've bought Iphone 4 from someone on ebay. He said that it's Factory Unlocked. The Iphone is 16GB from Orange UK Model MC603B/A.
Well, When I received the phone, after inserting my SIM Card I got this message saying that the phone is locked.

I tried calling the Orange UK Customer Service 3 times. in the first 2 times I was told it's impossible to Unlock the Iphone unless I can give the phone number the phone belongs to and not only the IMEI and on the 3rd time, the representative told me right away, sure just give me the IMEI and your email address and your phone will be unlocked within 3 days and you'll receive email with Unlocking code to use with Itunes to unlock the phone.

Well, I still haven't received that really waiting for email, but I want to ask you guys if you think this is true or the representative gave me wrong info and I'm waiting for nothing.

What other options to I have?

Thanks,

Eyal.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
...and on the 3rd time, the representative told me right away, sure just give me the IMEI and your email address and your phone will be unlocked within 3 days and you'll receive email with Unlocking code to use with Itunes to unlock the phone.

The unlocking code bit seems a bit odd. When O2 unlocked my 3G they just sent a text message telling me to connect to iTunes with a non-O2 sim fitted to complete the unlocking.

There was no code needed and I haven't heard of them being used with the iPhone. :confused:

MajorX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
This is what I understood from the representative that I should get email telling me to connect the iphone to itunes so it will get unlocked and I've to enter the Unlocking code into the iphone itself.

Does it sound ok to you?

Also, they didn't charge me to all.

MajorX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Well,
Just spoke with them and they're asking for the Orange number. I don't have any Orange number in the UK.

Can I give the IMEI to someone here to assist me with contacting the customer support to unlock the phone?

Willing to pay if needed.

Thanks,

Eyal.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Sounds like you need to take the issue up with the eBay seller for falsley advertising the goods. You should be able to send the phone back for a refund as it's not as advertised.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Apple's official iPhone unlocking procedure depends on few things happening:

When you sync an iPhone with a SIM inside it, iTunes will record the details associated with that SIM and send these to Apple (the Carrier, IMSI etc.) to be stored in a database with data about the iPhone.

You can only sync an iPhone with a SIM that is valid (i.e. if the phone is locked - in this case to Orange UK, you can only use an Orange UK SIM when syncing the device).

In order for a carrier to be able to unlock an iPhone. The above process must have happened. (You must have synced the phone in iTunes with a valid SIM from that carrier).

If you haven't done that, then the carrier isn't allowed to unlock the phone (using Apple's system).

You have two problems potentially:

1) The phone might never have been synced with iTunes with a valid SIM inserted, meaning that it cannot be unlocked by Orange. The only way to solve this is for you to sync the phone in iTunes with a valid Orange SIM.

2) The carrier's internal procedure for unlocking the phone requires an account to held with them. As far as I know, Orange will only unlock iPhones for customers if they have been with the network for three months and for a fee. Both of these things require you to have an Orange SIM (it could be a pay as you go SIM) and to pay them money.

MajorX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Hi Daveoc64,
Thanks for your reply!

Well, first thing, I can send it back to the seller and he'll full refund me. Should I do it and buy an iphone locally in my country and thats it?

Regarding what you said with getting an Orange SIM Card and using it with Itunes. I guess that the Seller already put an Orange SIM Card in the iphone and sync it with Itunes so I guess doing the same now won't resolve the issue of the locked phone.

I called Orange UK yesterday several times, they won't unlock the iphone unless I give them an Orange UK Mobile phone number which I don't have, even if i'm willing to pay for Unlocking. Also, they told me that the Unlocking Process could take up to 2-3 weeks! until I get an email saying the phone has been unlocked.

Eyal.

Kularius

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Hi Daveoc64,
Thanks for your reply!

Well, first thing, I can send it back to the seller and he'll full refund me. Should I do it and buy an iphone locally in my country and thats it?

Regarding what you said with getting an Orange SIM Card and using it with Itunes. I guess that the Seller already put an Orange SIM Card in the iphone and sync it with Itunes so I guess doing the same now won't resolve the issue of the locked phone.

I called Orange UK yesterday several times, they won't unlock the iphone unless I give them an Orange UK Mobile phone number which I don't have, even if i'm willing to pay for Unlocking. Also, they told me that the Unlocking Process could take up to 2-3 weeks! until I get an email saying the phone has been unlocked.

Eyal.

They will not unlock this handset for you at all... believe me Im talking from my experience - first they will check IMEI and if is not associated with phone No. and your name they will ask you to sign up contract pay and go and be Orange customer at least 3 months... I can say one thing - Orange UK is the worst mobile company I have ever come across... stay away !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.