Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmac50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
I have an iMac 24-inch (early 2009, designated ‘9,1’) and have “successfully” installed Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit using Boot Camp.

I say “successfully” because the installation went rather haywire, running 3 back-to-back cycles of installing the system without any intervention from myself (at one point, there were TWO Win 7 installations in the NTFS partition, one of which disappeared later).

When I saw that this was going nowhere, I stopped the installation at the beginning of the 4th cycle and instructed the computer to Shut Down.

On power up, I was confronted by the pleasant surprise of Win 7 loading and running smoothly on this iMac, with apparently (almost) all compatibilities taken care of (keyboard works, mouse works, DVD drive works, etc).

The computer boots every time directly into Win 7; no sign of Apple Mac OS. Although this model seems absent from Apple’s compatibility list for running the 64-bit Win 7 version, Win 7 is cruising along smoothly and is quite fast to boot. I keep my fingers crossed.

But there is no sound.

The mixer indicates that the speakers “work” (the sound levels go up and down) but there is silence listeners experience.

This is an iMac that I “re-constituted” by installing the latest copy of Snow Leopard by wiping the hard disk clean. I went back to the OS disc and under Drivers and installed the Apple Software Update, although I found no audio drivers for Win 7 64-bit.

Under Device Manager, the audio is seen as “High Definition Audio Device.” There’s no info which device this is exactly.

I have googled the issue to no avail. Do you have any ideas that can help? They will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
right click on the speaker icon in the system tray. Select playback devices. What's listed? Can you select the internal speakers and hit "set as default"? Does using headphones work?

Newmac50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
I click Playback Devices, Speakers are default device (green check mark) - when right click speakers "show disconnected devices" is checked - earphones do not work --

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
dumb question, but if you double click on the icon are all of the audio sliders slid up? Are any muted? I gotta run, I'll try to hop back tonight to help more if you didn't figure it out.

Newmac50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
all sliders are correctly set - no muted devices - many thanks for helping !!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Try making Windows reinstall the drivers. In device manager, remove the audio devices. Reboot, and Windows should detect it and re-install the drivers automatically.

You can also try installing the drivers off of the bootcamp DVD manually (you need to brows the dvd file structure til you find the audio drivers). Or you can try downloading the drivers from here and see if they help any.

Last question. When you turn the computer on, before it boots to Windows (or mac), does it chime?

Newmac50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Try making Windows reinstall the drivers. In device manager, remove the audio devices. Reboot, and Windows should detect it and re-install the drivers automatically.

You can also try installing the drivers off of the bootcamp DVD manually (you need to brows the dvd file structure til you find the audio drivers). Or you can try downloading the drivers from here and see if they help any.

Last question. When you turn the computer on, before it boots to Windows (or mac), does it chime?

Yes, the computer goes BONG! before it boots to Windows!
I will try your other suggestions and report back.
Again, many thanks for helping me.

Newmac50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
A million thanks thejadedmonkey! I have sound !! It was the Realtek drivers... You also have the thanks of my grateful daughter!

alexhutu

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012

Hello! I know this post is pretty old but I have the same problem with Windows 8 Developer Preview.. is there any way to fix it? The startup chime is there and Windows says that my speakers work, but there is no sound at all, not even when plugging headphones.
I would really appreciate your help!

PS: I'm on a 2011 iMac (12,1)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hello! I know this post is pretty old but I have the same problem with Windows 8 Developer Preview.. is there any way to fix it? The startup chime is there and Windows says that my speakers work, but there is no sound at all, not even when plugging headphones.
I would really appreciate your help!

PS: I'm on a 2011 iMac (12,1)

Sorry I don't have the DP on my MBP (got a dell for that :p ) but my previous suggestion is all I can think of. The Windows audio framework is the same, so the drivers for Win 7 should work on Win 8....

dooshka

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
install windows 64 bit on imac

Can someone please help me out here, every time i try via bootcamp, it @booms@ then up pops a black scree, choose 1 or 2 boot selection, tried that, nothing, it just keep coming back up again

any help most appreciated

(L)SD

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
Texas
I have an iMac 24-inch (early 2009, designated ‘9,1’) and have “successfully” installed Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit using Boot Camp.

I say “successfully” because the installation went rather haywire, running 3 back-to-back cycles of installing the system without any intervention from myself (at one point, there were TWO Win 7 installations in the NTFS partition, one of which disappeared later).

When I saw that this was going nowhere, I stopped the installation at the beginning of the 4th cycle and instructed the computer to Shut Down.

On power up, I was confronted by the pleasant surprise of Win 7 loading and running smoothly on this iMac, with apparently (almost) all compatibilities taken care of (keyboard works, mouse works, DVD drive works, etc).

The computer boots every time directly into Win 7; no sign of Apple Mac OS. Although this model seems absent from Apple’s compatibility list for running the 64-bit Win 7 version, Win 7 is cruising along smoothly and is quite fast to boot. I keep my fingers crossed.

But there is no sound.

The mixer indicates that the speakers “work” (the sound levels go up and down) but there is silence listeners experience.

This is an iMac that I “re-constituted” by installing the latest copy of Snow Leopard by wiping the hard disk clean. I went back to the OS disc and under Drivers and installed the Apple Software Update, although I found no audio drivers for Win 7 64-bit.

Under Device Manager, the audio is seen as “High Definition Audio Device.” There’s no info which device this is exactly.

I have googled the issue to no avail. Do you have any ideas that can help? They will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

In my case (Win 7 Pro, Lion 10.7.2) this worked:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Playing-Audio-troubleshooter

alexstania

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
dumb question, but if you double click on the icon are all of the audio sliders slid up? Are any muted? I gotta run, I'll try to hop back tonight to help more if you didn't figure it out.

Go into COntrol Panel, SOund, Devices, disable and re-enable every device there and it should work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.