Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on a good note taking app for a college student. I have tried several and I cannot find one that fits my needs. Most of my teachers post powerpoint files that normally everyone prints out.

I would like to be able to annotate the slides if needed. I have been using keynote and writing my notes in presenter mode which works okay, but I find that there is no way that I know of to organize all of my presentations by class.

Also, I would like a way to draw on the slides.

I have tried apps like noterize and a few others, but I found they did not properly display the presentations nor would they display full screen.

So what is the best note taking app?

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I actually have tried pen ultimate but am I able to import power points into it?

NDChemist

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
Minnesota
Note Taker HD & Notes Plus

I have used both Notes Plus and Note Taker HD extensively for the past month. I love Notes Plus for taking meeting notes, it has a much better "pen to paper" feel than Note Taker HD but lacks the PDF Annotation feature of Note Taker HD. I use Note Taker HD to write notes directly on PDFs I have for Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents. I just up load the PDF's I want to my iDisk account and store them all with Goodreader for viewing. If I need to put some notes on one, I open it in Note Taker HD and write away. Get a good stylus (I use Stylus-R-Us and really like it) and start writing your notes. If Notes Plus gets the PDF annotation feature (due in the next couple updates), then I would probably use that solely.

FubsyGamr

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2010
I just wanted to add in my $0.02, and say that I use Note Taker HD for school, and I absolutely love it! It works great for Math and Engineering notes, as well as my Programming Classes. And now, with the quick PDFannotation ability, I find it absolutely priceless. I use it with the BoxWave Capacitive Stylus, and the YooBao Magic Case, and it is awesome!

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
So I've been on this quest to find the best iPad note-taking app. I like the zoom mode of Note Taker HD, but find the UI too busy and unintuitive. I love the pen fluidity of Penultimate, but can only fit a few words per line. Notes Plus has been my go to app, but it gets sluggish with lots of text on the page.

Enter "Note Shelf." So far - this looks really good. Think of it as the pen from Penultimate combined with the zoom feature from Notes Plus/Note Taker HD. Simple interface, a ibooks-like bookshelf for notebooks - in all, a really nice app. Worth it just for the way the erasers pop out! Oh - and Dropbox integration for exports! For me this will replace Notes Plus as my primary notes app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.