Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi I got the new iPod touch 4G for christmas and now it's getting slow and laggy sometimes even while typing this the keyboard has to catch up with me.. It wasn't like that before. Even if I scroll rogue next page of apps sometimes it will start lagging. It's the 8GB and I don't have a lot of stuff of here, it still has about 5 GBs left.. No music or anything. So is there anyway to try to get it to speed up or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
^^^ +1

Maybe you have many apps running in the background or on multitask. if this is so it could be causing the device to slow down

Double press the home button quickly, then press and hold on one of the icons there, then close down all running apps, this may fix your problem

RoryReloaded

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Inside an iPod
Now that you mention it, mine's a bit laggish too.
I did a speed test with my old iPod and an iPhone 3G...
To make a long story short, it lost.
And I've killed all the apps in the background...

Have you upgraded your firmware? (Though I upgraded mine, and it's still laggy!)

paulos1990

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
leicestershire
:apple: I got my girlfriend one and her is starting to slow down, iv killed all running apps and ungraded it as well but still slow.

so if anyone knows how to sort it i would be grateful:apple:

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Try a reboot by holding the home button and sleep button at the same time until screen turns off and on to show a white apple logo.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I've had my 4th Gen since Christmas and I've yet to encounter any lag or slowdown. If you aren't jailbroken then as others said it is most likely because of lots of apps multitasking in which case you can just double tap the home button then press and hold one of the apps to start removing them from your multitasking bar. If it isn't that then you may want to try and restart your device.

If you restored from a backup when you first got the device you might need to do a clean restore on the device instead of from a backup.

EDIT: Of course everyone else already mentioned all this the reason I posted this was because I just wanted to say I've never had any lag or slowdown and I run lots of demanding games like Aralon, Dungeon Hunter 2, Space Miner, Dead Space, Espgaluda II, DoDonPachi Resurrection along with many others.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Mine lags a log while typing too. In fact, is just lagged quite a bit on this sentence and the one before it. I often kill all my running apps and reboot but it really doesn't help. I guess I've gotten used to it. But it kind of sucks.

Mine is not jailbroken, and has the latest v. Of iOS on it. So not sure what to do if anything. I got mine in September.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Ive noticed that too, on my friends 8gb ipod touch 4th gen that even when she had nothing running, or even a couple apps running it was SUPER Laggy. I tried unlocking the home screen once and it took like 5 secs to unlock.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I think a restore and making sure there are no apps running in the background is a good way to start, you could help us by letting us know if anything has worked, and maybe we can suggest other things to help you if we know more about the problem

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
How about try to restore your device, maybe you should check your iPod to see does it get an camera in the front.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I've noticed all the new ones being a little slow (animations running through really quick - almost no animation at all) but I haven't seen one have a good 5 second lag.

mattmercen

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Speed up iPods

This trick really helped me.
First, go to the settings, then go to general then reset. Once there click on reset network settings. That speeds it up a lot.

If your home screen is laggy, go to settings, then go to general. Once there click on spotlight search. Uncheck all the fields. Now your home screen will be faster.

If games are slow. Dubble tap the home button. The multitasking bar should come up. Hold down one of the apps. A little red circle will come up. Then you click on it. Do the same for all of them.

Lastly,if your iPod is still slow go to settings, general, then reset. Click on reset all settings. NOT reset all data and settings.

Your iPod should be really fast now

If its not, just reset everything to factory settings. You can just do that in the settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.