Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I'm brand new to the ATV2 JB scene, and all I've done so far is install XBMC (which is great!). What have you guys done with your modified ATV2s!?

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You have plex, nito tv and xbmc for now and that's it.

danielsmu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
There's also "Groovy" a Grooveshark app for jailbroken apple TVs.

(I haven't tried it yet myself as I'm waiting for an untethered apple tv jailbreak.)

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

(I haven't tried it yet myself as I'm waiting for an untethered apple tv jailbreak.)

I thought groovy was a plugin when you installed Nito Tv.

keschMoney

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
I'm brand new to the ATV2 JB scene, and all I've done so far is install XBMC (which is great!). What have you guys done with your modified ATV2s!?

Purchased ATV Flash (Black) from firecore. 20 bucks for the beta program. Comes with Media player that finds shares very quickly, Couch Surfer Pro which is a basic web browser with trackpad support and an iPad user-agent, LastFM, Weather, a better installer, a fast way to install NitoTV, etc. I'm pretty satisfied with ATV Flash. Worth the $20. Media player is a little choppy on stuff streamed from my USB HD connected Airport EXtreme, but it's only like version 0.4. The plus side is, unlike PleX, you don't need any additional software running on your Mac/PC.

Installed PleX, but it's still buggy. Some movies stop playing, and when you go back into the app, your progress is gone. Also the desktop server is slow and unreliable, and not great with tagging media files. This would be so much better if other apps could tap into the PleX services.

Installed Rowmote Server... awesome, works with the iPhone and iPad apps. So much better than the official Apple Remote app.

Installed RemoteHD Server... cool, supports VNC view on the iPad app with overlay buttons for controlling stuff. Works well with Couch Surfer Pro and XBMC. VNC access is quite slow.

Installed BTStack for using a bluetooth keyboard. Rowmote is still more useful.

Installed Main Menu Weather to get the weather forecast on my Top Shelf. Removed the Top Gradient. Very convenient and looks great.

Installed updateBeGone to get rid of those pesky update dialogs from Apple.

Installed netatalk so that I could visually access the ATV's filesystem via Finder, and add support for Folder Actions and Hazel automation from my Mac (auto copy media files, screensaver photos, etc.)

Installed groovy - very happy with it.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010

Mines untethered. Probably not the latest firmware though.

There's a new version of plex out, a lot less buggy.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I JB my ATV2 with Seas0npass, works just fine. Can you install Plex when you already have XBMC installed, will the two conflict at all?

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
I JB my ATV2 with Seas0npass, works just fine. Can you install Plex when you already have XBMC installed, will the two conflict at all?

No conflicts and both can be installed concurrently, though depending on how large your media collection is, all the metadata, posters, etc. stored for XBMC can eat up a lot of space on the device. The Plex app has a very small footprint on the :apple:Tv2.

S-Man

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
I'm in the same position as the OP. I JB'd the other day, installed NITOTV but don't know what to do next. I also installed XMBC but don't know how to use it. Where do I play movies from? Does PLEX allow for a Hulu app?

kjenyg

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010

Install icefilms (streaming movies,tv shows etc) :http://code.google.com/p/anarchintosh-projects/

Install navi-x (streaming movies, tv-shows etc) :http://website.navi-x.org/downloads.html

Navi-x is less pretty, but more userfirendly imo.

Here`s how to install them:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_Add-on_Repositories

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Lets be honest

If you dont download music or movies for free

Jailbreaking the atv2 is not for you

The point of xbmc is to play mkv's 720p & 1080p without dealing with iTunes & mp4 or m4v

Along with add-ons that let you stream movies & tv shows for free

So OP unless your into all the above you wont find it useful to jailbreak

This is not like the iPhone where good Christians can feel good about jailbreaking because they pay for cydia apps

There are no cydia apps to buy on the appletv2

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Lets be honest

If you dont download music or movies for free

Jailbreaking the atv2 is not for you

The point of xbmc is to play mkv's 720p & 1080p without dealing with iTunes & mp4 or m4v

Along with add-ons that let you stream movies & tv shows for free

So OP unless your into all the above you wont find it useful to jailbreak

This is not like the iPhone where good Christians can feel good about jailbreaking because they pay for cydia apps

There are no cydia apps to buy on the appletv2

This is oretty wrong. A lot of people rip their physical media and store it on the comouter to stream to the TV. One less DVD, CD what ever to deal with.
The beniofit of dong this with XBMC is that it has a content scraper where it will sort your content find images, ratings and various other information. It is actually quite useful and makes the whole process more enjoyable.

So instead of having to find the correct DVD or blue ray, you can sit comfotably on your couch and browse your library and select a movie or show.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
This is oretty wrong. A lot of people rip their physical media and store it on the comouter to stream to the TV. One less DVD, CD what ever to deal with.
The beniofit of dong this with XBMC is that it has a content scraper where it will sort your content find images, ratings and various other information. It is actually quite useful and makes the whole process more enjoyable.

So instead of having to find the correct DVD or blue ray, you can sit comfotably on your couch and browse your library and select a movie or show.

This.

I'm taking my macbook pro to the Genius Bar tomorrow for a random shutdown problem. I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk out of the store with an AppleTV in tow for the purpose of streaming my ripped blu ray and TV collection on my mac pro to the TV upstairs (using xbmc or Plex). And that's about all I want it to do. As long as it does this well, it will be worth it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.