Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Hi,

i have a question, if my friend plans to buy a mac later this year when Lion will be included standard, can you use that disc to install on other Macbooks? I heard that disc that come with the computers are made just for them, is that true?

Tnx

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Hi,

i have a question, if my friend plans to buy a mac later this year when Lion will be included standard, can you use that disc to install on other Macbooks? I heard that disc that come with the computers are made just for them, is that true?

Tnx

How about waiting for the release date for Lion, then buying a Mac a week before. You'll get the Snow Leopard DVD which will be machine specific, but you should then be able to get the Lion installer disk for the price of shipping and handling - usually $9.95 or something. That way it should be a universal disk and not tied to a machine?

Just an idea

pac

Nov 28, 2010
located

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
How about waiting for the release date for Lion, then buying a Mac a week before. You'll get the Snow Leopard DVD which will be machine specific, but you should then be able to get the Lion installer disk for the price of shipping and handling - usually $9.95 or something. That way it should be a universal disk and not tied to a machine?

Just an idea

pac

Or wait and buy the computer in the week after. If you buy a stock machine they normally have the same mail in disks to put in the box, until the New OS stock starts to role in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.