Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaz~

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Hi, I'm having trouble putting in phonetic guides (aka ruby text or furigana) for my Japanese text in word.
I've looked up the help topic, and it says to click on this button under the fonts section:

Screenshot2011-02-17at72908PM.png

But all i can find under "fonts" is this:

Screenshot2011-02-17at72924PM.png

i.e. no phonetic guides button? Am i just really blind?
Help please & thank you!

jaz~

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I've found it! After days of struggling and experimenting, I have located the button!

If anyone's having the same problem, here's how I got the button to show up:

1. Close any MS Office documents open.

2. Open Finder > Macintosh HD > Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 > Additional Tools > Mircosoft ...ge Register

3. When the alert pops up, change the drop down language from English to Japanese and press OK.

4. Set your text to Japanese and all the language features will be there! Including gridlines for genkoyoushi and ruby text.

Hurrayyy~

tigbond

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
Phonetic guide for Chinese

I'm having the same problem except I need a phonetic guide for typing in Chinese. The Microsoft Language Register only has English and Japanese as options. Anyone know how to fix this?

seedo

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
I'm having the same problem except I need a phonetic guide for typing in Chinese. The Microsoft Language Register only has English and Japanese as options. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hi. I have found a way to get the Chinese options. You need to have Chinese (simplified or traditional) input already added into your Mac before you get to see the options available for Chinese.

When u have chosen Chinese from the drop down menu as stated above, go to Word and choose Format>Asian Layout>Phonetic Guide. You will get what you see in Word for windows :)) Hope it helps.

yunmei

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
chinese phonetic guide in MS office 2011

Anyone can help me to activate chinese phonetic guide?
Because in ms office language register only says japanese&english,
Need a help please :(

Onigiriman

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Washington DC
Thanks

I've found it! After days of struggling and experimenting, I have located the button!

If anyone's having the same problem, here's how I got the button to show up:

1. Close any MS Office documents open.

2. Open Finder > Macintosh HD > Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 > Additional Tools > Mircosoft ...ge Register

3. When the alert pops up, change the drop down language from English to Japanese and press OK.

4. Set your text to Japanese and all the language features will be there! Including gridlines for genkoyoushi and ruby text.

Hurrayyy~

I registered to this site so I could say, "Thanks"! You are a time--if not life--saver! 感謝感激

shutupthatswhy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Hi! I've followed the steps in the second post in this thread to use Japanese in Word, but I can't work how to create genkoyoushi. I've tried downloading genkoyoushi templates but can't work out how to type in those either. Can anybody help please?

rariseMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
MS Office Language Register

Dear all,

I do not find MS Office Language Register and I don't know where I can find it despite I followed the steps described above.

Could anyone help me out with this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Envek

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I can't find “MS Office Language Register” in “Additional tools” folder too. Can it be installed from anywhere? Or is there any workarounds?

AGaizin

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Tokyo, Japan
I have another Problem with Furigana/Ruby - its location. I have a iMac OS X 10.10.5, and Microsoft word 2011. When I input Furigana/Ruby in Japanese text, the Furigana/Ruby appears up and before the kanji and they are separated by a comma. What can I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.