Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deathbyart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I bought a Dlink N router that is flashed with DD-WRT. My whole network works fantastically and my Apple TV has access to my network and Internet. I can browse through Netflix and select something to watch but it won't actually play it. The same goes for attempting to stream a tv show or movie from ITunes over the network. Although I did successfully play music.

This is in incredibly frustrating and hoping there is some setting I missed.. Maybe firewall is blocking it... I don't know...

Suggestions?

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
There are a ton of horror stories with Netflix streaming and the ATV2. Check the Apple discussion forums. I couldn't get it to work reliably so I went to a Mac Mini and Plex.

deathbyart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the help guys. I honestly think it has to do with the freaking dd-wrt firmware. I had everything up and running just fine with a Linksys G router.. thought having an N would be even better.
It was like inviting a Gremlin into my network.. :rolleyes:

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
dd-wrt is definitely the problem. I guess I should have said the dns change is the work around...once I switched my ipad and appletv to static dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 it started working again.

owine

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I run DD-WRT, but I have ti set to the static 8.8.8.8 DNS servers and don't have issues. All of my devices get static DHCP leases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.