Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matelot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
NY
Rev A. (MB450LL/A) (64GB SSD)

MBA won't boot past the gray screen,. I performed Safe Boot and it does not make a difference.
this is what it shows : http://i.imgur.com/7eoWc.jpg (sorry for the blurry picture)

One line says "Mac HD could not be repaired"

If you have to take a guess - Does it mean the SSD is toast and need to be replaced ?

Thanks

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
wow. that pic is so blurry it's of absolutely no help.

as for the Mac HD being unrepairable, it depends on the context, which could possibly be somewhere in that photo, but it's unreadable. likely it means that there's a problem with the software and verifying/repairing is not possible.

your first step should be to try and format then reinstall the OS. if that doesnt work, then start considering a possible hardware problem.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That would be my guess. I'd take it in and have it looked at. Hopefully you have a backup.

matelot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
NY
That would be my guess. I'd take it in and have it looked at. Hopefully you have a backup.

should I go to the "Genius" first or just to an Apple repair shop ?

(no more warrranty)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
should I go to the "Genius" first or just to an Apple repair shop ?

(no more warrranty)

Genius Bars will look at your computer for no charge, but then if they need to fix it they will charge at that point. If it's something software related or simple then they usually don't charge (at least that's been my experience).

bigus7674

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2005
Gray screen with Apple logo?

Don't know if you are having the same problem, but a few years ago I used my computer all day, shut it down that night and woke up the next morning. Started the computer and it wouldn't boot past the gray screen with the Apple logo. Showed the progress "circle" constantly spinning but not doing anything.

After much freaking out, luckily I discovered the problem - I booted the computer with my DiskWarrior CD and discovered that there was a bad sector apparently in the boot sequence. I had DiskWarrior do it's thing and about a half hour later I was back up and running.

Maybe start there if you have a copy of DiskWarrior available...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
probably HDD failure.

Take it to a genius bar and get them to quote you for the repair work that needs to be done.

With that quoted price, check out other sources and if your technical prowess is not too uncouth you could try and fix it yourself and source the part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.