Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I am asking because someone on the forum said that the Ultimate loses price more than the basic model since not a lot of people want it.

Is that true? I am thinking of returning my base model and getting the ultimate, but I am afraid I'd lose more money if I wanted to sell and upgrade to the newer Air.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
My opinion? Whoever said that was wrong. I think especially in a world where there is a new version, the ultimate version retains more value.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
My opinion? Whoever said that was wrong. I think especially in a world where there is a new version, the ultimate version retains more value.

I agree.
When its time to sell, the computing world would have moved ahead and in comparison to the newer future models, basic would feel too outdates vs the ultimate, which though not comparable to the then current models, would still be a considerable machine.

Beside, get it & enjoy it now, is that small satisfaction not even worth a couple of hundred dollars to you? :)

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I believe it does lose more value percentage wise

At the priceoint of the ultimate a buyer starts to think why not go for the newer model.

slipkid

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Why would I WANT to sell it?

I had a Dell XPS 13" for the longest time and was hoping that some day, Apple would refresh the Air line. They did, and they did an outstanding job. I have the ultimate 13" now and it is everything I ever wanted in a notebook. As a business consultant, my needs are email, surfing, word, exel, powerpoint, diagraming software like Omnigraffle and mindjet , etc etc. This notebook is so light weight, blisteringly fast, tremendous battery life, plenty of ports, and a beauty of a screen. I keep most of my data up in the cloud on dropbox and use crashplan to back up. My itunes music is on my home imac so I dont lug that around with me. So, yeah, mine is a core 2 duo and we suspect that in time, the newer units will have sandybridge processors. Frankly, I wont have the need to upgrade. So, think it through. You may want to go out now and buy one and enjoy the heck out of it like I am......
Regards
PB

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I had a Dell XPS 13" for the longest time and was hoping that some day, Apple would refresh the Air line. They did, and they did an outstanding job. I have the ultimate 13" now and it is everything I ever wanted in a notebook. As a business consultant, my needs are email, surfing, word, exel, powerpoint, diagraming software like Omnigraffle and mindjet , etc etc. This notebook is so light weight, blisteringly fast, tremendous battery life, plenty of ports, and a beauty of a screen. I keep most of my data up in the cloud on dropbox and use crashplan to back up. My itunes music is on my home imac so I dont lug that around with me. So, yeah, mine is a core 2 duo and we suspect that in time, the newer units will have sandybridge processors. Frankly, I wont have the need to upgrade. So, think it through. You may want to go out now and buy one and enjoy the heck out of it like I am......
Regards
PB

I actually did. Expected delivery March 14th :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You buy an "ultimate" because you want the performance, not for the resale value. Technology loses value quickly. 2 years from now (or even 6-12 months from now), a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo will seem just as ancient as a 1.4GHz or 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo.

I purchased an "Ultimate" Rev B back in November 2008 for $2400. I sold it in November 2010 for $800 (a drop of $1600). By contrast, the base MacBook Air in November 2008 was $1500. I could have gotten (perhaps) another $100-200 on eBay or Craiglist (before eBay fees), but the point remains.

That said, if you can afford the "Ultimate" or the 1.86GHz 4GB Air and intend to keep it, then go for it. It's a nice machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.