Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpha752

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Before I get beaten, I did search and got an answer, but I was just wondering if there was any new information (hoping anyway).

I got a rev B MBA (13"/1.86/2gb/128 ssd) off ebay a few weeks ago, and its great. Except today. I was lightly browsing, and I got a gray screen telling me to hold the power button to power off my computer. When rebooting, it wont boot and beeps 3 times. I know from searching this is a RAM issue. I reset the smc, and pram, no good. I opened up the MBA, and see no obvious damage. I tried disconnecting the battery, clearing the capacitors, and tinkered with whatever I could, nothing helps.

I know the RAM is soldered on, and since im way out of warranty, it means a new logic board. I just ordered a new 2010 MBA 13" ultimate, so im not real worried about this (should be here monday!), but I was hoping to sell the rev b to recoup some of the cost. Theres almost no data on the ssd, so I dont even care about recovering that.

With out replacing the logic board ($500 if I do it myself, no idea what Apple will charge), any hope to get this thing to a sellable state, or am I just stuck?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd also suggest getting a repair estimate from an Apple Store or authorized service center. As an occasional seller on eBay, I'd definitely try to make things good, but would appreciate if the buyer investigated the issue (for instance, to make sure it wasn't an easy fix). I once sold an iPod on eBay and a few weeks later it stopped working. There was no sign of any trouble when I sold it. Sometimes things happen, but I worked out a solution for the buyer that we were both satisfied with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.