Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I currently have a movie in Spanish with English subtitles in MKV format. I ran the file through MKVtools and put it on the AppleTV2 preset and set subtitles to "burn." However, in the final MP4 file, the subtitles are not burned in when I play the new file in VLC or Quicktime. They don't show up at all. I've tried to convert it twice with MKVTools and no luck. Can someone tell me how to fix this or the proper settings to use in MKVtools to actually burn the subtitles into the movie? Thanks!

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I have the same problem, I can't get the subtitles to be burned in. When I first started using mkvtools I burnt in subtitles by mistake on the first movie I did. You could try trashing and installing the app again. And trashing the preference file

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Basically all I want to do is burn the subtitles into the movie and change the movie from MKV to MP4 format with the burnt in subtitles.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
You could always try Handbrake instead? MKVTools is great when you don't need to re-encode the video stream, you just want to change the container and the audio. Burning in subtitles requires a complete re-encode of the video stream, and Handbrake is unsurpassed for that. If you don't want to re-encode the video stream, your only option is to use soft subtitles.

nixsun

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Did you find a solution to this?

I have tried many many things and only one worked but degraded my video quality tremendously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.