Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmitchel0

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2008
ok, so I'm looking for a someone that does coding for online stores for
products that are customizable. *Sort of like when you go to an auto
website and you can order a car and choose options like color, and then
it'll show the image of the car in whatever color you chose, or when you order food online at places like 5 Guys or chipotle.

*I'm lost as to what "kind" of programmer that is (php, java, etc)...was
wondering if anyone could give me some direction into the what kind of programming language the person I'm looking for needs to be efficient in...thanks!

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
ok, so I'm looking for a someone that does coding for online stores for
products that are customizable. *Sort of like when you go to an auto
website and you can order a car and choose options like color, and then
it'll show the image of the car in whatever color you chose, or when you order food online at places like 5 Guys or chipotle.

*I'm lost as to what "kind" of programmer that is (php, java, etc)...was
wondering if anyone could give me some direction into the what kind of programming language the person I'm looking for needs to be efficient in...thanks!

I don't know if you already cross-posted to the web programming forum, but that's probably more likely to get you bites than here. This kind of thing is probably much more complicated than you imagine, though. You're thinking about what's going on in the browser, which is a big deal, but there's also going to be backend code needed for anything like this, unless once they have customized their item the user just marvels at it and never actually submits an order to you.

Generally someone that advertises experience with web programming would probably be able to handle the frontend and backend of this kind of project, but not necessarily. That would be where I'd start, though. Dependent on the approach this might be able to be executed completely in the browser with no additional requests going back to the server, so that would be all HTML, JavaScript, and CSS. Those are basic skills no matter how this is implemented. Beyond that, the server-side stuff could be anything.

When you're searching provide basically what you did here. You need a programmer to implement a website with an interface similar to X, allowing for customization of a product and a display of the results. If this also needs to be submitted, stored in a database for processing of an order, etc. note this as well.

-Lee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.