Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdelaney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Greetings! I live in a blended family (I use mac :apple:, roommate uses pc :eek: - haven't converted her yet). She and I would like to live in harmony and use a shared desktop workstation.

I've hooked all external components (mouse, keyboard, printer) via USB to a Lenovo K33415 Port Replicator. NEC AccuSync LCD also connected to Port Replicator via VGA.

When I plug her PC in, it recognizes all components immediately. My MacBook recognizes all components except the monitor.

Do I have to use a Mini DisplayPort to connect the monitor to the Mac? Or can I make it work as is with the USB?

Thank you sooooo much!!!! :eek:

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Greetings! I live in a blended family (I use mac :apple:, roommate uses pc :eek: - haven't converted her yet). She and I would like to live in harmony and use a shared desktop workstation.

I've hooked all external components (mouse, keyboard, printer) via USB to a Lenovo K33415 Port Replicator. NEC AccuSync LCD also connected to Port Replicator via VGA.

When I plug her PC in, it recognizes all components immediately. My MacBook recognizes all components except the monitor.

Do I have to use a Mini DisplayPort to connect the monitor to the Mac? Or can I make it work as is with the USB?

Thank you sooooo much!!!! :eek:

Does the port replicator work with displaylink software? that's pretty much the standard for USB video: http://www.displaylink.com/ The os x driver is here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

Note usb video is really slow to respond vs the displayport or dvi or vga because of the limited bandwidth and you will need the built-in screen on that macbook to install the driver but you should be able to watch youtube videos. Also, forget games, it does NO 3d.

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
they do have USB dongles which convert to a VGA display. OWC sells them (as well as chinese vendors) and they work, but to a limited extent. We use them at a K-12 school and for that use it is fine. I would do mini display to vga if you are doing anything video related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.