Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reeves

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Virginia
Has anyone heard of this thing called "Blu-Ray"? Apperently they are making dual-layered discs that hold up to 54GB! These machines are due out in 2006/2007. I'm quite intrested in it, does anyone think Macs will get BD-Rom, BD-R, and BD-RW drives. I hope so because this looks impressive.
http://www.blu-ray.com

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Reeves said:
Has anyone heard of this thing called "Blu-Ray"? Apperently they are making dual-layered discs that hold up to 54GB! These machines are due out in 2006/2007. I'm quite intrested in it, does anyone think Macs will get BD-Rom, BD-R, and BD-RW drives. I hope so because this looks impressive.

yeah your behide on things.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Steve mentioned Blu-Ray along with another standard for the next generation DVD at the last keynote. Apple will probably choose a standard within 6 months to a year. I am surprised it has taken so long to take off. I wonder if the unit price for a Blu-Ray drive is still too high for even $3,000 PC/Mac.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Reeves said:

Well, it's a tough one.

There are two competing standards, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

One of them will probably at some point be ratified as the standard for next-generation DVDs.

Blu-ray is owned SOLELY by Sony, while HD-DVD is owned by several companies.

It's very similar to Betamax vs VHS.

Blu-ray has higher capacity (54 GB on a dual layer disk, vs 30 GB on a dual layer HD-DVD), but HD-DVD is FAR cheaper to produce since they can be produced at current DVD production factories.

I think HD-DVD will probably win out, since a lot of people don't want Sony to have complete control of the standard, and its cheaper as well.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
one thing that got me when looking at which mac to get last week was how none of them come with dual layer dvd burners. it just seems like something i thought apple would be ahead of, but they're only up to 8x single layer right now, and that was just upgraded. i mean u can get a dual layer burner for less than 100 bucks now.

i was just suprised they're just at 8x single layer considering all the video editing and stuff people do on macs.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
qzak said:
one thing that got me when looking at which mac to get last week was how none of them come with dual layer dvd burners. it just seems like something i thought apple would be ahead of, but they're only up to 8x single layer right now, and that was just upgraded. i mean u can get a dual layer burner for less than 100 bucks now.

i was just suprised they're just at 8x single layer considering all the video editing and stuff people do on macs.

yep, add to that the fact that they cant even put a top o the line gpu in there £2kGBP powermac, well its pretty dire

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
qzak said:

There's a simple reason for this. Can you find dual-layer DVD media as easily as you say you can find dual-layer drives? Thought not.

Blu-ray/HD-DVD hasn't made it to Macs yet for the exact same reason.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
wrldwzrd89 said:
There's a simple reason for this. Can you find dual-layer DVD media as easily as you say you can find dual-layer drives? Thought not.

you could find 8x media easily for awhile before apple put upgraded, and u can easily find media faster than 8x now. and yes, i happen to be able to find dual layer media no problem. it costs more yes, but i can find it no problem.

absolutmp5

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2004
you have to understand mac though doing a huge community service as a viable option against windows it is a buisness. Product placement and milking their products for all their worth is the most important aspect of how apple operates. besides dual layer buring will definetly be in the new powermacs when the revision, its just something to add for marketing

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
wrldwzrd89 said:

Actually I suspect Apple is waiting to find out which one will be the standard before they gear up for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.