Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fooj

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Hello,

So I am looking to replace my MBP with one of the new shiny imacs. I currently have MS Office 2011 installed and obviously want to move that to the imac.

I want to sell my MBP, how do I deactivate this license or move it to the imac?

Thanks in advance

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I want to sell my MBP, how do I deactivate this license or move it to the imac?
Uninstall it from your MBP and reinstall it on your iMac. You don't have to do anything with your license.

Fooj

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Thanks - for some reason I didn't think it would be that simple!!!!

makingmusic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Uninstall it from your MBP and reinstall it on your iMac. You don't have to do anything with your license.

Even after using Migration Assistant when I start my Office 2011 products, they are asking for the activation key. Is there a way to move the key from one computer to another

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Even after using Migration Assistant when I start my Office 2011 products, they are asking for the activation key. Is there a way to move the key from one computer to another
Did you uninstall it from the old computer? You should. Then install on the new one.

makingmusic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Did you uninstall it from the old computer? You should. Then install on the new one.

Can't find an uninstall tool. Only thing to do appears to toss in the trash but how will license be removed from one system so I can authorize/install license on the other?

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to bump this thread, but I don't think that manual deletion does anything towards deactivating the license. I have to call and speak with a service representative every time, which is highly irritating to say the least. I'd love a way to automatically revoke a license so I can install it on another computer without having to call someone repeatedly.

Asking the service rep about this got a response of "Go to start menu, Add/Remove Programs, then uninstall" and when I replied that that's what you do on Windows, there was thirty seconds of silence before he asked if I needed help with anything else.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I am running into the same problem/issue. I had purchased a copy of Office 2011 1-user license from Microsoft's website. They gave me a product code, which I used to activate the software on a Retina MacBook Pro last year. I did a completely wipe/reinstall of the system software, and sold that Retina MacBook Pro. Then, I used the same code to install and activate Office 2011 on an older 2007 iMac. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro, and was hoping to be able to install the software and activate it with the license code, since I deleted from the iMac and the iMac is packed away in storage now. It tells me "Activation was not successful because the maximum number of installations have been used"

Apparently...Microsoft's Office 2011 for Mac Activation system works like this...you are paying for a License key which will allow you to activate the software with Microsoft's online system on *two* different computers, but NO MORE than two. If you have used ANY activations of that code on the past on two different computers, all of your activations are USED UP and the system will not allow you to activate the software on a third different computer, even if the software is uninstalled or not present on the previous two computers.

THERE IS NO WAY TO DEACTIVATE OFFICE 2011 ONCE YOU HAVE ACTIVATED IT.

Once it has been activated on a computer, the activation for that computer is used up....you cannot "de-activate" and free-up the install for another separate machine. Microsoft will not allow it...

This is the frustration I am running into. I have already spent over $500 on Microsoft Office software and currently only running it on two computers. Ridiculous. And I am going to have to buy another license if I want to install it on my new MacBook Pro because all of my other activations are used up on separate machines, which I do not even own anymore - Microsoft records a machine code with your product key for each machine you activate, and has a max number of unique entries allowed per product license, usually 2, 3, or 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.