Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Accordguy0325

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Hello all

I have been looking for an easy to use, spyware free, safe utility that will perform multiple functions to help keep my Macbook Pro and Imac squeaky clean and trouble free.

I downed loaded Mac-clense and was immediately subject to some sort of spyware- and heard the Mackeeper used to be the same way.

Does anyone here use Mackeeper ? or have used it ? Is it any good ? Can you suggest any other alternatives if Mackeeper is no good ? Thanks

Steve

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have been looking for an easy to use, spyware free, safe utility that will perform multiple functions to help keep my Macbook Pro and Imac squeaky clean and trouble free.
MacKeeper, MacCleanse and such apps typically do more harm than good. You really don't need anything to keep your Mac running well. You don't need any anti-virus or anti-spyware apps, either. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

If you insist on using some app, the only one I would recommend is Onyx. One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I wouldn't recommend either. From my experience I'd say CleanMyMac is better than MacKeeper. To be honest, MacKeeper is a piece of ****. I've tried it recently. :mad::(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wouldn't recommend either. From my experience I'd say CleanMyMac is better than MacKeeper. To be honest, MacKeeper is a piece of ****. I've tried it recently. :mad::(
Read what I posted about CleanMyMac, and the link posted.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hello all

I downed loaded Mac-clense and was immediately subject to some sort of spyware- and heard the Mackeeper used to be the same way.

Does anyone here use Mackeeper ? or have used it ? Is it any good ? Can you suggest any other alternatives if Mackeeper is no good ? Thanks

Steve
MacKeeper is a scam that preys on the ignorance of Mac users who recently switched from Windows. Virtually none of the things that MacKeeper "fixes" are problems on the Mac. It appears that MacKeeper is a simple port of PCKeeper, the developer's "Windows version." My guess is that PCKeeper is almost as useless.

jackZ

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Ok so now what I bought and installed MacKeeper .
I am not a ...... you know the rest .
I think the problem was probably the cable server , sometimes it's slow .
I thought after reading a little and looking at the ad for MacKeeper it looked like an apple endorsed ( not real sure why now ) item , so I bought .
I thought that due to the fact there are more Mac users there may be a lot of junk and it was running slow at times Imac7,1 10.5.8 .4ghz core2 4gb memory .I bought it new a couple of years ago .
It did it's thing( all the duplicate checks and blah blah virus scan ) and it's running but I thought after that I may have made a mistake . At first everything was really slow but seems back to normal speed now . Using it for two weeks or so now . I just browse the internet but do use the computer for banking too .
Now I'm here registered asking after the fact , should I remove MacKeeper . will it uninstall without harm !? Or just leave it and let it expire ?
I have Mac exactly for the reason that I dont have PC problems with junk viruss etc.
Imac , 13"mac book pro , Iphone3g,
Oh ya I put it on the Macbook too .
I appreciate your knowledgeable advice and apologize for doing so after the fact .

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Now I'm here registered asking after the fact , should I remove MacKeeper . will it uninstall without harm !? Or just leave it and let it expire ?
I have Mac exactly for the reason that I dont have PC problems with junk viruss etc.
You don't need MacKeeper, and removing it will not harm your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.