Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GatorsUF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
For some reason when I try to insert a disc into my drive slot, I can only push it in about half way and it feels like it hits something. There is not a disc in the drive, as I just ejected a disc before I had the problem. I tried the terminal command to force eject and it didn't seem to help...

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
restart your Mac and hold down the mouse button. I know you said nothing was in there, but maybe this will move the bits around some.

Worth a try imo.

Last edited:

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Superdrive doesn't accept discs

For some reason when I try to insert a disc into my drive slot, I can only push it in about half way and it feels like it hits something. There is not a disc in the drive, as I just ejected a disc before I had the problem. I tried the terminal command to force eject and it didn't seem to help...

I have a mid-2010 iMac (21.5", Snow Leopard) and a similar problem. Today I decided to copy a music CD to my iTunes library. It worked and I ejected the disc. However, I was about to put another CD into the Superdrive and it did not go in. Just like with GatorsUF, the disc went half way in and then hit something soft but firm.

I've owned this iMac for about a year and this is the first problem with the Superdrive (which I do not use a lot). I've tried to shut down the iMac, checking the disk and repairing the disk permissions -- and obviously trying out different CDs and DVDs. It occurs to me that the problem might be that the Superdrive for some reason does not know it is empty. I've read that through Windows (bootcamp) you can eject with the Superdrive ejecting even if it is empty. However, I do not have Windows on this Mac and do not know how to eject when the drive is empty.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Found a cure: click and hold left mouse button while booting up.

Last edited:

Maiada

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
same problem

I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro.. could you please tell me how you solved it?

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Same

I have a mac mini and got the outboard DVD/CD drive from Apple.
Had same problem. Apple said it was unfixable and sent me an
identical new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.