Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bascotie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Hi guys,

A friend's 3gs is stuck at the apple logo. I did a restore several times, but it still gets stuck at the apple logo. Just now, after being stuck at the apple logo for a while, and even though it is plugged in, it went from apple logo to red battery charge screen.

Tried putting it in DFU mode and trying redsnow, tried stock firmware at least3-4 times, nothing seems to work. Oh, it just went from the battery picture back to the apple logo, so maybe it's having problems charging?

Also, yesterday, after messing around with it I saw the main screen all jumbled up but couldn't get past it (the screen where you slide to unlock).

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hi guys,

A friend's 3gs is stuck at the apple logo. I did a restore several times, but it still gets stuck at the apple logo. Just now, after being stuck at the apple logo for a while, and even though it is plugged in, it went from apple logo to red battery charge screen.

Tried putting it in DFU mode and trying redsnow, tried stock firmware at least3-4 times, nothing seems to work. Oh, it just went from the battery picture back to the apple logo, so maybe it's having problems charging?

Also, yesterday, after messing around with it I saw the main screen all jumbled up but couldn't get past it (the screen where you slide to unlock).

If you are at the screen where it ask you to slide to unlock. You need an original carrier sim card to put in to activate the phone to home screen or hactivate it with redsn0w.

bascotie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
If you are at the screen where it ask you to slide to unlock. You need an original carrier sim card to put in to activate the phone to home screen or hactivate it with redsn0w.

Thanks. I tried RedSn0w but I couldn't get past the slider, not because it was locked, but because the phone was acting weird and wouldn't let me do it. Now, I can't get past apple logo T_T

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Thanks. I tried RedSn0w but I couldn't get past the slider, not because it was locked, but because the phone was acting weird and wouldn't let me do it. Now, I can't get past apple logo T_T

Few things you need to check when redsn0w is not working;

1. Did you pick the correct firmware?
2. Can't get in to DFU mode due to power/home button not working.
3. your phone model. This go back to my point # 1. If you have 3G and think you have 3GS, you pick the 3GS firmware, it will not work.

bascotie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Few things you need to check when redsn0w is not working;

1. Did you pick the correct firmware?
2. Can't get in to DFU mode due to power/home button not working.
3. your phone model. This go back to my point # 1. If you have 3G and think you have 3GS, you pick the 3GS firmware, it will not work.

Thanks again. The RedSn0w jailbreak finished, but the phone just didn't boot up afterwards. Just like when restoring from itunes using stock firmware. I can get into DFU mode.

The phone shows the red battery like it needs charging. I plug it in -> then the lightning symbol shows up, but no matter how long it's plugged it, it'll still show it needs to be charged.

Also, I noticed windows saying something about an MTU driver that failed to install when I plugged in the phone once.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Thanks again. The RedSn0w jailbreak finished, but the phone just didn't boot up afterwards. Just like when restoring from itunes using stock firmware. I can get into DFU mode.

The phone shows the red battery like it needs charging. I plug it in -> then the lightning symbol shows up, but no matter how long it's plugged it, it'll still show it needs to be charged.

Also, I noticed windows saying something about an MTU driver that failed to install when I plugged in the phone once.

It's seen like the battery is dead.

bascotie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
It's seen like the battery is dead.

Thanks for the fast response. Would a dead battery prevent the phone from booting up when plugged in? Also, I found out that this is indeed a 3g and not 3gs so I'm trying some different firmware now.

bascotie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
3g firmware didn't work. Also I get a driver error saying MTP Usb device was not installed successfully,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.