Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
4468287946_a50a04624f.jpg

MacRumors stalwart The 2010-2011 Football Thread has announced his retirement with immediate effect.

There had been speculation about the Thread's future in the past few weeks and it had looked increasingly likely he would end his stellar career at the end of the campaign.

He said: "This was not a decision I have taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to be locked.

"To have had such a long and successful career at MacRumors has been a real honour – and in particular I'd like to thank the posters for their tremendous support throughout the season."

The Thread has enjoyed a particularly long career – amassing over 3,300 posts – and now looks set to join the MacRumors Coaching Staff, helping to develop the potential of young up-and-coming threads.

The announcement naturally sparked a hunt for an immediate replacement, with none other than the 2011-12 Football Thread promoted from the reserves to take his predecessor's place.

The young thread commented, "We all know what 2010-11 achieved here, but I'm inspired by his achievements rather than intimidated. I know there'll be testing times ahead – disagreements over new kit designs, confused NFL fans wandering in – but I'm sure I can overcome these and become an important member of the Community Forum squad."

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
There's another big retirement here at the Wolves. The Stan Cullis Stand (or North Bank as it's known around here) has closed it's turnstiles for the last time after 19 years of service.

Unfortunately, there's no time for sentiment because there's another Premier League relegation battle about to start in a few months time. :)

Screen shot 2011-06-03 at 19.17.26.png

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Also retiring are some old shirts, because they're getting replaced with new ones.

Hearts and Forest have unveiled their new polyester rags over the last few days – both use the same basic template but wit different collars and cuff trim. They look alright I reckon, the obtrusive Hearts sponsor notwithstanding.

5789590479_b4a25ba7b3.jpg 5793124606_43036f2529.jpg

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Friedel has decided to retire from Villa. Gomez was not immediately available for comment but could be heard muttering expletives in the background.

Oh there are also ramblings from Eurosport that Real are planning a £54m bid for Fabregas. A similar rumor pegs Romanski to be prepping for a bid of up to 60m because he's identified as the ideal link to Torres from midfield. Cha-ching!

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Gomez was not immediately available for comment but could be heard muttering expletives in the background.
He'd probably just dropped something when he heard the news.

The Friedel transfer might have repercussions for us because, as it stands, it'll move our potential target Brad Guzan up the pecking order at Villa Park. We'll have to see what happens there.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
There's another big retirement here at the Wolves. The Stan Cullis Stand (or North Bank as it's known around here) has closed it's turnstiles for the last time after 19 years of service.

Unfortunately, there's no time for sentiment because there's another Premier League relegation battle about to start in a few months time. :)

View attachment 287992

Hey OllyW - think it was from you I heard before about the arrangements for Molineux next year? Was searching and couldn't find anything - am I right in remembering the away fans section is going to be changed? Thanks.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool look set to unload a few expensive flops like Jovanovic and Aquilani, plus a few other surplus players. There of plenty of areas that need strengthening and anyone Kenny doesn't want on the payroll ought to go, even if it means taking a loss on the transfer fees. We need a decent third striker, a defensive midfielder and a couple defenders. I also hope Gerrard fits into the new-look team when he returns from injury.

In MLS news, they have no idea it's supposed to be the offseason and continue to play till this fall. :D Actually, I am proud for once that our league thumbs it's nose at FIFA, since that organization is not exactly looking good at the moment...

He'd probably just dropped something when he heard the news.

The Friedel transfer might have repercussions for us because, as it stands, it'll move our potential target Brad Guzan up the pecking order at Villa Park. We'll have to see what happens there.

Speaking of dropped, Gomes may just find himself dropped from Spurs' starting position with Friedel's arrival. It doesn't say much for "Arry's opinion of Cudicini either. Friedel might be a thousand years old in footballing terms, but I think he's a thousand times more reliable. He's not the quickest out of his box, but he definitely commands his area much better than Gomes and has as much experience as a team could ask for. Here's hoping Brad has a good season for Spurs.

woolyback

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
England
I also hope Gerrard fits into the new-look team when he returns from injury.

Wonder what Kenny would do if someone (Real?) came in with a big money bid for him?
I thought the team had a lot more balance and fluidity whilst he was out and players like Meireles and Lucas had to step up and did so very well.

Interesting quote from Steve Clarke on LFCs website

A fit and fully firing Steven Gerrard can only improve the squad.

Unless I'm reading too much into the wording of "squad" rather than "team" :confused:

Love this time of the year - the constant transfer talk, incredibly lazy journalism randomly linking clubs and players....it's great :D

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Hey OllyW - think it was from you I heard before about the arrangements for Molineux next year? Was searching and couldn't find anything - am I right in remembering the away fans section is going to be changed? Thanks.

Yes, during the first stage of redevelopment the away supporters will be housed in the Jack Harris flank, that's the side of the stand behind the other goal. Because of the reduced capacity during the building work, there will be a maximum of 2,200 tickets available for away supporters.

From the following season the away fans will be given a permanent location in the corner of the new 'North Bank" stand. They are demolishing the Steve Bull stand as soon as the stand is completed so away fans will still be limited. They will be more flexible with the allocation once the stadium is back up to full capacity in three years time.

http://www.molineuxpride.co.uk/wt/press_releases/green_light_for_molineux_redevelopment

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
They look alright I reckon, the obtrusive Hearts sponsor notwithstanding

Surely sponsors get to see a mock up, and then their PR people would then say 'ugh, you know what maybe keeping our standard corporate identity works against us in this instance?'

In other retirement news, it would appear that 41 year old David Weir still isn't retiring and expects to be Rangers captain this forthcoming season.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Surely sponsors get to see a mock up, and then their PR people would then say 'ugh, you know what maybe keeping our standard corporate identity works against us in this instance?'
You'd be surprised. Speaking from personal experience persuading sponsors to – for example – go with a white out version of their logo rather than the full colour version is a hiding to nothing. The aesthetic of the shirt isn't the priority in their eyes, they want their branding as big and noticeable as possible even if it's to the detriment of the overall design.

woolyback

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
England
Half time in the England game and two things stand out;

If Scott Parker is using this game as a shop window he could drop another division

Andy Townsend is a blathering idiot

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Half time in the England game and two things stand out;

If Scott Parker is using this game as a shop window he could drop another division

Andy Townsend is a blathering idiot

I'll also add a couple:

Milner should be nowhere near the England squad (include Barry in that while you're at it)

Hart is having a shocker, given the lack of alternatives I hope it is a temporary dip in form.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
'Keeper errors for both Swiss goals. On the first, watching the ball sail in and not covering Ferdinand isn't going to do the job.

The penalty at least gives us a way back into the match — a better second half, please.

Oh, and Townsend is indeed a prize buffoon.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
USA 0-4 Spain. The world champions crushed USA, though both sides were well below full strength. Several papers were calling it a 'setback' for USA as our squad enters the Gold Cup, but frankly getting beaten by the Spanish doesn't really tell us anything. I fully expected to lose, but really hoped we could keep the scoreline lower. What is there to say? it's Spain we're talking about here...we already pulled off a shock victory against Spain in '09, and lightning rarely strikes twice.

Pretty sad to see Robbie Rogers miss a good chance, a goal against Spain would have done wonders for the Columbus Crew midfielder. He's still trying to recover his 2008 form. Anyways, it's not the likes of Spain we need to worry about in the Gold Cup, but Mexico. In that context I think we have a competitive squad.

Re: England...funny story: I was on a boat off a remote island in the Gulf of Alaska on Tuesday working on a project and met a Swiss-German tourist and Schalke supporter, who was on his way back from a kayaking trip. We got to talking about football (he was "shocked that there were Americans that know about the Bundesliga" ;) ), and he poked fun at the English national setup. "[The German national team] love to draw the English, because it means we are already through to the next round of a tournament", he said, with uncharacteristic warmth. "They are so old fashioned, they kick the ball all the way up the pitch to Peter Crouch and nothing else" - though he allowed that Crouchy was "surprisingly agile for a big player" :D. He must have sensed my allegiances because he was full of praise for Liverpool ("They have real support") but dismissed Manchester United and Chelsea as "big money with no real fans".

Capello's tenure has certainly not been what everyone hoped, and now the FA has painted itself into a corner by promising an English manager. What's next for the Three Lions? I just can't see them making much of an impact in the Euros, assuming they get there.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Herr Swiss-German tourist and Herr Schalke supporter aren't wrong about problems with our set up, problems that we've all commented on to death over the years here. Anyway, everything will be alright when we get an English manager — his national pride will surely inspire the players to win the World Cup. Oh yes. :rolleyes:

We're good enough to usually qualify for tournaments, and good enough to usually progress from our group. The problem then is we're usually not good enough to do well against the higher calibre of team we meet there.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Yes, during the first stage of redevelopment the away supporters will be housed in the Jack Harris flank, that's the side of the stand behind the other goal. Because of the reduced capacity during the building work, there will be a maximum of 2,200 tickets available for away supporters.

From the following season the away fans will be given a permanent location in the corner of the new 'North Bank" stand. They are demolishing the Steve Bull stand as soon as the stand is completed so away fans will still be limited. They will be more flexible with the allocation once the stadium is back up to full capacity in three years time.

http://www.molineuxpride.co.uk/wt/press_releases/green_light_for_molineux_redevelopment

Thanks a lot.

Hopefully I'll still be able to get hold of a ticket for next season's game and see how the redevelopments going.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Herr Swiss-German tourist and Herr Schalke supporter aren't wrong about problems with our set up, problems that we've all commented on to death over the years here.

True. And I think zee Germans have a right to be smug - their league is perhaps the most fan-friendly of the top leagues in Europe, their league financial model is sound, and their overall system of developing talent for the national team is excellent. Still, the German model will never work in England as long as the Premier League exists, with its big-money, no-limits model. The FA needs to implement a system for developing talent that will work with the Premier League somehow. Not sure what that would be, but England obviously have the potential to be quite a bit better than current results show.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Last time I checked, getting to work on time was not considered "unreasonable". :rolleyes: We haven't had a good Roy Keane quote in so long...always high entertainment value there.

Columbus drew 1-1 in New York last night against a depleted Red Bulls squad. our half-million dollar striker, Andres Mendoza, continued to prove himself a flop by missing two sitters and we only salvaged a draw when two of our rookie players combined for a late, late equalizer (kudos to Rich Balchan for showing Mendoza how to score a goal :rolleyes:). I think the core of our team is decent, but our only productive striker is currently out injured and the defense, which started the season well, is leaking more and more goals. Tough times in Columbus as we are winless in five now.

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
So, today's tabloids were reporting with a predictable relish about Ryan Giggs' latest indiscretion – apparently the Werther's sucking Welsh winger hasn't only been knocking off some reality TV lass behind Mrs Giggs' back but also his sister-in-law for a number of years. His own brother's wife, for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

That's that settled then – with all this philandering, he really should be an England international. :p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Yikes.

Speaking of England internationals, I read a few of the attacks on Capello today and I think the press have got it backwards. Cappello's tenure has essentially been a failure, no doubt - but I think the blame should largely rest with the players. The "golden generation" was a false dawn, a chimera. They were and are, as a group, simply not good enough, for whatever reason. It's time for a big purge. Unfortunately, I don't see Capello really shaking things up in the time he has left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.