Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
hey, i got my first mac like two weeks ago. i tried connecting my 40gb ipod to my new powerbook but it opened up iTunes and everything just froze, i ended up having to hold the power button down on the powerbook to restart!

i know windows formatted it when i first got it, and i know i can't add music to it if i keep it for my pc use, but any ideas why it did that, i thought macs read both formats and pcs only read one?

oh, and i think i'm gonna just move my music over to my powerbook and reformat my pc so i might as well just make my powerbook my ipod's home. i'm afraid to just connect my ipod to my PB again cause of what i said happened before, so whats the best way of wiping out my ipod and starting over using my PB?

thanks!

hogman

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2005
TN
well if u can find an ipod update on ur windos then u can use it to restor the ipod to factory condishion. this will compleatly re format ur entier ipod and anything on it will be lost. including bugs, viruses, and the like. try that :D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Oh wow...

hogman said:
well if u can find an ipod update on ur windos then u can use it to restor the ipod to factory condishion. this will compleatly re format ur entier ipod and anything on it will be lost. including bugs, viruses, and the like. try that :D

Hey, don't computers have some kind of program that corrects spelling? Someone should really write a program that does that. It would be easier not to look an uneducated hick when you posted online if a computer could correct spelling/grammar automatically.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
appleretailguy said:
Hey, don't computers have some kind of program that corrects spelling? Someone should really write a program that does that. It would be easier not to look an uneducated hick when you posted online if a computer could correct spelling/grammar automatically.

yikes! ease up on this fellow. this is an internet forum, not an english paper. i could understand what he meant. good enough for me! :)

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
qzak said:
hey, i got my first mac like two weeks ago. i tried connecting my 40gb ipod to my new powerbook but it opened up iTunes and everything just froze, i ended up having to hold the power button down on the powerbook to restart!

i know windows formatted it when i first got it, and i know i can't add music to it if i keep it for my pc use, but any ideas why it did that, i thought macs read both formats and pcs only read one?

oh, and i think i'm gonna just move my music over to my powerbook and reformat my pc so i might as well just make my powerbook my ipod's home. i'm afraid to just connect my ipod to my PB again cause of what i said happened before, so whats the best way of wiping out my ipod and starting over using my PB?

thanks!

damn after reading these threads, im glad i returned my ipods(3) the same day they broke down on me.... all these problems and people still buy these stylish unfunctional items. i've had my iriver for over a year, dropped it on the street with really hard once and still works fine. no problem with draggin and droppin file between my pc and powerbook.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hell Yeah!

AudiGuy said:
damn after reading these threads, im glad i returned my ipods(3) the same day they broke down on me.... all these problems and people still buy these stylish unfunctional items. i've had my iriver for over a year, dropped it on the street with really hard once and still works fine. no problem with draggin and droppin file between my pc and powerbook.

Damn right! iPods are terrible! These problems MUST be widespread if someone is posting it on a forum! Quick make sure you tell EVERYONE you know not to buy an iPod!

Wait...most everyone already has one....
iRiver...ugly, awkward, too big to fit comfortably in a pocket..but no reported problems. Wait...might that be because people just don't care?

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
appleretailguy said:
Damn right! iPods are terrible! These problems MUST be widespread if someone is posting it on a forum! Quick make sure you tell EVERYONE you know not to buy an iPod!

Wait...most everyone already has one....
iRiver...ugly, awkward, too big to fit comfortably in a pocket..but no reported problems. Wait...might that be because people just don't care?

iriver ihp-120 wont fit comfortably in pocket? too big?? awkward?? its the same size as a 30G ipod...... :/

i dont think it is ugly, i like the black color. im not a follower, i dont buy things to be accepted. i buy what i think will work well for me.

my friend (who is an idiot when it comes to computers) asked me about ipods, i told that idiot i had problems with 3 of them in under a month and what did he do?? he went and got an ipod why? because when he hears "mp3 player" he automatically thinks "ipod!" and now he complaining about battery life, pc and ipod crashing. hahahha what a moron

i gave highs and lows about ipods and iriver, then told him to make his own decision

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Not all iPods are the same size...

Does that mean everyone is an idiot for buying an iPod? Has Apple been duping ALL of us? Is the iPod just some huge joke? Will they ALL break down at once?!?!?

You bought the iRiver cause you wanted to be different. It's okay, you can admit it.

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
appleretailguy said:
Does that mean everyone is an idiot for buying an iPod? Has Apple been duping ALL of us? Is the iPod just some huge joke? Will they ALL break down at once?!?!?

You bought the iRiver cause you wanted to be different. It's okay, you can admit it.

yes i know i had 3 of them, 20G=2, 30G=1 all third gen, none made it through the 1st day without ****in up.

the 30G is slightly larger than the 20G, as i said the ihp-120 is about the size of the 30G ipod.

yes i did get the iriver to be different. its funny seeing 10-15 people on the train with ipods thinking they're "hip" hahahah i know they are going through hell with their ipods. i dont know much about the 4th gen ipods, do they still **** up like the 3rd gens?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
AudiGuy said:
yes i did get the iriver to be different. its funny seeing 10-15 people on the train with ipods thinking they're "hip" hahahah i know they are going through hell with their ipods. i dont know much about the 4th gen ipods, do they still **** up like the 3rd gens?

Yes..I hate music, but the iPod is hip, so I decided to get it.
And both my shuffle and mini f&%$ all the time, but I have blind faith, as do the other hundreds of thousands of people who own iPods.

I guess we're all stupid.

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
appleretailguy said:
Yes..I hate music, but the iPod is hip, so I decided to get it. sadly this is the mentality of many ipod owners... not all just most..

And both my shuffle and mini f&%$ all the time, but I have blind faith, as do the other hundreds of thousands of people who own iPods.

I guess we're all stupid. you said it not me

im not a fan boy, if ipods functioned like my iriver, i would totally buy one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.