Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Limblifter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Alright, here's the story.

I'm recently dented my iPod by dropping it. While cosmetically it's damaged, it plays PERFECTLY, as if nothing happened at all. (I'm listening to it as I type this.)

Now, think 6 months down the road. Say, for instance, my hard drive were to die for any given reason. I'm aware that Apple services dead hard drives(under AppleCare, at least), generally by giving a replacement iPod. But I'm also aware that Apple doesn't service damaged iPods/iPods with accidental damage.

So, if I sent in my dead iPod in for service for the HD, would Apple reject me for service because of that dent? The dent has not caused any problems, and I'm not sending it in to have the dent fixed, but I fear that they would reject it solely on it

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I have no idea, but I'd take it in to a store (if you can), and try and get some sort of signed document from them to say that they have seen the dent, and know that the iPod is in perfect working order.

Limblifter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Actually, that's a decent idea. Now if only Apple would build a store near me that isn't 3 days drive away...

Well, I'll be headed towards an Apple store later on anyways, so that's all well and good, thanks.

Anyone else with some insight into this?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
they should. ive had my iPod replaced twice under warrenty, the latest one had a small dent on the corner from it falling previously (like yours). mine kept working perfectly, then it started to have weird issues, which I dont think had anything to do with dropping it (8 months later).

keithpetey

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
do it kidnapping style. take a camcorder or camera and show your ipod with the dent and something that tells the date that you cannot change like on a news channel or a newspaper. make sure to also show that its in working order so have it play some music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.