Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Ok guys, here's the deal. Randomly, i wasn't doing anything specific -- my system starts getting sluggish. I check the activity viewer -- wow, finder is at 150% CPU!

I have scoured the internet for fixes, and franky, I have tried them all (except one -- which I may need help with -- more on that later).

System: Snow Leopard with a Mac Pro (Twelve Core 2.66 Westmere)

This is what I have tried and the results:

1. Trashing com.apple.finder.plist, com.apple.systemuiserver.plist, com.apple.loginwindow.plist. -- NO FIX
  2. Trashing ALL apple.* namespaced .plist files -- NO FIX
  3. Turning off "calculate all sizes" in finder -- NO FIX
  4. Turning off "show view options" in finder -- NO FIX
  5. Disabling all startup items -- NO FIX
  6. Unplugging external hard drives -- NO FIX
  7. Getting rid of all data on desktop. -- NO FIX
  8. Repair Disk Permissions -- NO FIX
However, if I create a new account or use my wife's account -- the FINDER CPU USAGE IS NORMAL.

I analyzed the finders cpu pattern, it goes like this. If active, its always between 70 and 150% cpu usage. If i kill it, and stay 100% idle -- it goes from 0-ish% to 100+% slowly, and the Real Memory column in activity viewer goes from 0mb to ~2gb+ slowly, and when it gets around there, it dies and cycles all over again.

Here's where I need help from people smarter than me in this area. What are some methods I can use to trace what's happening in finder?

I am pretty new to mac and this has been a big blow to me -- I am loving the rest of it after being on windows for over 17 years.

Would appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks,
-Sirocco

Last edited:

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
I read somewhere that if you move your entire Library>Preferences folder elsewhere, the problem might disappear (you would be creating an entirely new preferences folder). Have you tried this? Also, try resetting your PRAM and NVRAM. If everything else fails, you could just make a new admin account and move your stuff over, since the problem actually lies within your account (not within your software/hardware if when you log out to another one the problem is gone).

sirocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I read somewhere that if you move your entire Library>Preferences folder elsewhere, the problem might disappear (you would be creating an entirely new preferences folder). Have you tried this? Also, try resetting your PRAM and NVRAM. If everything else fails, you could just make a new admin account and move your stuff over, since the problem actually lies within your account (not within your software/hardware if when you log out to another one the problem is gone).

No, i have not tried either.

I have removed all the files with the /Preferences folder for the user, but did not delete the folder itself. Will give it a show when I get home from work! Thanks!

Also, i will try resetting the PRAM & NVRAM.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
No, i have not tried either.

I have removed all the files with the /Preferences folder for the user, but did not delete the folder itself. Will give it a show when I get home from work! Thanks!

Also, i will try resetting the PRAM & NVRAM.

Just move the folder, no need to delete it. I doubt deleting it will have a different effect, but should any preference become conflicting you have the old preference folder ready.

sirocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Just move the folder, no need to delete it. I doubt deleting it will have a different effect, but should any preference become conflicting you have the old preference folder ready.

Makes perfect sense :cool:

sirocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Plus launch /Applications/Utilities/Activity Viewer and see what program is what old program is going wild.

I am sorry I don't understand? I see the finder cpu% in activity viewer -- is there something else your suggesting?!

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
I am sorry I don't understand? I see the finder cpu% in activity viewer -- is there something else your suggesting?!

I didn't mention that because I thought you had indeed checked the % that way, lol :D

Another utility good for cases like these is Console, but I'm not too keen on how to interpret it so I'm just going to leave it as an option here, if you understand how to make use of it

sirocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I didn't mention that because I thought you had indeed checked the % that way, lol :D

Another utility good for cases like these is Console, but I'm not too keen on how to interpret it so I'm just going to leave it as an option here, if you understand how to make use of it

That is how I checked it. I was hoping to get help with the Terminal in the thread to maybe find out the culprit to the finder issue.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I used to have this problem sporadically. I never bothered to "fix" it though, I just Force Quit the Finder anytime I caught it doing that.

Luckily I haven't really had a problem lately -- it has been many months since I last saw it happen -- but I'm afraid I can't pinpoint anything specific that I did to make it go away.

How often does this happen for you?

sirocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I used to have this problem sporadically. I never bothered to "fix" it though, I just Force Quit the Finder anytime I caught it doing that.

Luckily I haven't really had a problem lately -- it has been many months since I last saw it happen -- but I'm afraid I can't pinpoint anything specific that I did to make it go away.

How often does this happen for you?

Right now, on this account, it's permanent. Even after a restart!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Right now, on this account, it's permanent. Even after a restart!

Hmm. Ok, that's different from the problem I would have, which is that occasionally something would just get "stuck" and start using CPU like crazy. Killing and restarting Finder would fix the problem, until whatever it was happened again.

I suspect mine may have been related to some operation on the network.

sirocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
im getting things when i issue the fs-usage -f filesys

18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000401 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000404 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000340 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000339 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000535 W Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000192 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000326 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000462 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000194 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000127 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000410 W Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000198 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000600 W Path Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000188 W Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.001019 W Finder
18:03:19 getdirentries64 0.000416 W Path Finder

any ideas? i disabled path finder after and it still happens, but with just finder.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
In Console, are you getting any repeat messages?

You might try using Onyx, and just going through all the parts of it to clean up. It’s what I use when I’m stumped and it always works, after I try all the stuff you already mentioned.

TheFridge

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
South Africa
When you go to activity monitor do you only see one finder process? Also can you please click on the finder process and then click on the Inspect button on the top left of Activity Monitor.

Then please post a screen shot of what the statistics page looks like and copy and paste all the entries under Open Files and Ports.

elimarcavalli

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
I had the same problem on my MBP.
I looked at the Activity Monitor and saw something like "GregorianCalendar" using a lot of process when I inspected Finder process...

It started a few minutes after the end of DST, because my mac was configured to update time automatically.

The problem has solved when I changed the hour, incrementing 1, and 1 day.

Now it's 1am and i turn the auto updates on again. The problem has permanently solved.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.