Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One item of interest regarding last week's Mac OS X 10.6.8 update reveals that Apple has enabled TRIM support for solid state hard drives shipped in Apple-produced configurations. TRIM is a feature that allows solid state drives (SSDs) to automatically handle garbage collection, cleaning up unused blocks of data and preparing them for rewriting, thereby preventing slowdowns that would otherwise occur over time as garbage data accumulates.

10_6_8_trim.jpg

Support for TRIM has been included in OS X Lion since its early developer builds, but Apple has apparently decided to push the feature out to Snow Leopard users as well. The new native TRIM support does appear to limited to stock Apple drives, as users who have installed third-party SSDs into their machines have reported that TRIM is not enabled by the update.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 also appears to have brought graphics improvements that have been most apparent to gamers. According to one set of benchmarks, Mac OS X 10.6.8 outperforms Mac OS X 10.6.7 in many measure of graphics performance, sometimes by a significant margin.

10_6_8_graphics1.jpg

User reports in the MacRumors forums and the Steam forums similarly point to significant improvements in graphics performance under real-world conditions. A number of users has actually reported significant declines in graphics performance with Mac OS X 10.6.7, so improvements with the new Mac OS X 10.6.8 are certainly to be welcome.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Brings TRIM Support for Apple SSDs, Graphics Improvements

mungler

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
ummm

im pretty sure they shipped TRIM in 10.6.7

i havent upgraded to 10.6.8 yet and I have TRIM enabled...

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006
TRIM was in my MBP 15, early 2011 running a special build of 10.6.7 right out of the box.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Nice and unexpected updates to me. :) I thought it was mostly about minor security and bug fixes. And Lion upgrade support.

So I guess I'll switch to an SSD drive now, and play Halo 'til my fingers bleed! Yaaay!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Don't care for TRIM support unless its for Intel, OCZ and other superior third party SSD drives. Apple's toshiba rebranded drives are a joke.

What is their excuse for not supporting other drives?

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
My MBA 11 with stock 128GB SSD on OS X 10.6.7 shows "TRIM Support: No" in System Profiler.

Waiting to install 10.6.8 in case there were bugs in the build. So far, I have not read anything bad about it.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
With the TRIM I'm curious to as whether or not OSX says TRIM enabled if the user is sporting a SSD with a SandFore (trim handled by controller). Because "as users who have installed third-party SSDs into their machines have reported that TRIM is not enabled by the update" might not matter because how many of them are having the controller do the TRIM already?

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Don't care for TRIM support unless its for Intel, OCZ and other superior third party SSD drives. Apple's toshiba rebranded drives suck.

What is their excuse for not support other drives?
Yes, that sucks for those who've gone through that trouble. I hope a whitelist can be found in the OS and somehow hacked, in case this lack of support is "artificial" (it sure sounds like it because TRIM support is simply about issuing a command to the controller, right?). Not something I'd do, but something I suppose those with balls big enough to hack their hardware might be interested in.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Did anyone try the trim enabler application on 10.6.8 with third party SSD?

edit: nevermind, a new version was released by the author
edit2: just applied the trim enabler and it is working now on 10.6.8

Last edited:

joesuburb

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
10.6.8 still has no love for my TS256A :(

APPLE SSD TS256A:

Capacity: 251 GB (251,000,193,024 bytes)
Model: APPLE SSD TS256A
Revision: AGAB0202
Serial Number: 799S106GT0SZ
Native Command Queuing: No
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Medium Type: Solid State
TRIM Support: No
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 250.39 GB (250,387,783,680 bytes)
Available: 72.08 GB (72,084,054,016 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
Because "as users who have installed third-party SSDs into their machines have reported that TRIM is not enabled by the update" might not matter because how many of them are having the controller do the TRIM already?

TRIM is an OS-related feature. It's not available for use unless the OS (or in some cases another application within the OS) supports it.

You're probably thinking of how some SSDs implement their own garbage collection, which doesn't require OS support. The benefit of TRIM is that the OS is able to essentially handle the logistics of garbage collection, which results in better long-term write performance.

dwwd

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
I'm thinking about adding an optibay (with a 750gb 7200rpm drive) and a 250gb SSD for the os in my MBP.... Is this TRIM something i should worry about?

Helghast

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
Support for only Apple SSD's? That sucks! Does anyone know if third party drives have trim support in Lion?

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Laughable

Thanks to TRIM enabler I have TRIM support on my MacBook Pro late 2008 model on a 512 GB Kingston SSD.

Any running a non Apple SSD should get this on their Mac fast.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Update: To clarify Apple's TRIM support, the new MacBook Pros released in February shipped with a special build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 that included TRIM support for Apple SSDs. But that TRIM support had not been extended to all SSD-configurable Macs until the release of Mac OS X 10.6.8 last week.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Only for official Apple drives?

Ouch! :eek:
Apple is not in the business of writing firmware for every storage vendor's devices. Apple has created support for TRIM in the operating system. Get on your device's manufacturer's case for adding support for it in OS X.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
How easy (or hard) does anyone think this would be to 'hack' to work with third party drives?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple is not in the business of writing firmware for every storage vendor's devices. Apple has created support for TRIM in the operating system. Get on your device's manufacturer's case for adding support for it in OS X.

Windows 7 supports TRIM on a wide range of SSDs, and there are third party hacks that enable TRIM on any SSD where the firmware supports it (which is almost every drive shipped now). It wouldn't be difficult for Apple to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.