Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexxmexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Hi there,

I had dropped my iphone4 today and it totally went off and there was no display, and I could not power up the phone using the startup button. I believe the impact of the fall was not too big as my phone was wrapped in a silicon case and kept in a soft pouch.

So when I got home, I tried to plug the charger into the phone and pressed the start button. It finally boot up and I was able to use it again but the time and date had been reset to Jan 1, 1970. The no display issue immediately after the drop was really worrying and I am not sure if the problem will arise again after some time. Another thing I had observed is that the phone will become hot after some usage and this heat issue was not noticeable before this.

Is the iphone really that fragile that a slight bump will brick it?

The phone is only about a week old. As the phone appears to be working now, do you think Apple customer service will do anything about it?

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
ive read stories about people with broken screens getting a free replacement so im pretty sure if your phone doesn't boot apple will replace it as long as any of the water damage stickers arent red:D

lexxmexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I am just worried that the bump might have damaged some components inside the phone and remains undetected until much later.

I really don't mind making a trip down to Apple store but I am afraid that they might not even want to entertain me since the phone appears to be working now.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I am just worried that the bump might have damaged some components inside the phone and remains undetected until much later.

I really don't mind making a trip down to Apple store but I am afraid that they might not even want to entertain me since the phone appears to be working now.
Take it in. Tell them what happened. Maybe they can run some kind of diagnostic to check things out.

If nothing else, you will have the issue logged so if it does develop a problem, they will have a record.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Yes, take it into a Genius. At the very least they could take it in the back and open it up and see if something has come loose. It might be a quick fix, it might need to be replaced by a re-manufactured unit. Either way, they should be able to fix you up.

lexxmexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I bought the phone from my mobile service provider. I called their service center and they said that the phone had hanged and this is a common issue on both iphone 4 and 3GS and no cause for alarm :confused:

I didn't know that Apples can "hang". I only know that this is a common Microsoft and Symbian issue.

Since I had bought the phone from them, all service and repairs will be carried out by the provider and I can't send it to Apple store. I hope that the problem will not appear again.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I bought the phone from my mobile service provider. I called their service center and they said that the phone had hanged and this is a common issue on both iphone 4 and 3GS and no cause for alarm :confused:

I didn't know that Apples can "hang". I only know that this is a common Microsoft and Symbian issue.

Since I had bought the phone from them, all service and repairs will be carried out by the provider and I can't send it to Apple store. I hope that the problem will not appear again.

Your "service provider" should have told you to take it to the Apple store. AT&T will not even look at it and will tell you to go there to have it fixed or replaced. Your iPhone has a Apple warranty!

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.

This isn't necessarily true. Your iPhone 4 has a 1 year warranty with Apple, regardless of who your carrier is. Your options are to go directly to the closest Apple store (with a genius appointment). But if one is not close to you, contact your carrier and see what they can do.

However, your carrier is NOT Apple technical support. The comment that your iPhone hanging up/locking up is a common occurrence couldn't be further from the truth. They might just of taken a SWAG at it and assumed that that iOS was alike to Android.

But go to Apple first if you can.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA

unless you bought a 3rd party warranty thru the provider AppleCare will be carried out at the Apple Store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.