Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dima470

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
West Sacramento, CA
Hello, I have an iPod touch 2g that does not boot up all the way. When you plug it into the charger, the apple logo pops up and it stays forever. Also the backlight doesn't work but I don't know if the two issues are related. The iPod also does not react to any buttons, even if you hold the power and home buttons together. It will just stay on the apple logo till it dies. Help please!!!

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
How do I put it onto DFU mode if the buttons do not seem to work?

If you can press them in, they do work. They may be unresponsive, but pressing and holding them in the correct sequence, (DFU Mode) will reset the iPod and will allow you to restore in iTunes.

Come to think of it, if iTunes recognizes the iPod, you can just click restore and that will accomplish the same goal.

Dima470

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
West Sacramento, CA
K, this is what I did. At the apple logo, I held the power button for 2 seconds, then both for 10, and the the home for about 15, just like RedSnow. A horizontal line of pixels at the apple logo stopped glowing. After about 10 seconds, the screen went black. I'm assuming it's in DFU mode. I will connect it to a computer ASAP and check. (I used the charger to put it into DFU.)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
K, this is what I did. At the apple logo, I held the power button for 2 seconds, then both for 10, and the the home for about 15, just like RedSnow. A horizontal line of pixels at the apple logo stopped glowing. After about 10 seconds, the screen went black. I'm assuming it's in DFU mode. I will connect it to a computer ASAP and check. (I used the charger to put it into DFU.)

Yup. Should be able to put into iTunes now and restore.

Dima470

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
West Sacramento, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kk i did that tried on 2 computers. It recognizes the iPod, downloads the firmware, the gets stuck at waiting for iPod on both computers...

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
i have charged my ipod and when it was full i just putted cydia to ios 5 beta 2 i download a tweak and i had to reboot the edvice.i did it and it was stuck in the logo.i waited 5 hours the battery to close. i just charge it and it's ok..but that's not a solution

vickyc.me

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
Thankyou!!! :d

i had to sign up to MacRumours just to say that this actually did work for me..

i am awful with this computery stuff and this worked PERFECTLY!!

it downloaded the update, and now its synching all of my stuff from iTunes.

thank you ECU for posting that DFU link and for explaining that the buttons are still working even if the device is "seemingly" dead! thanks again! :)

validusername

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
my itouch has the same problem, except when i plug it into the computer it doesnt show up in itunes, and the sleep button doesnt work, so i cant put it in dfu mode. is there anything else i can do or am i out of luck?

Ballsy8

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012

Thanks Dima!!! I got this to work for me!! Wouldnt work to go into DFU thou until charger hooked up..As soon as I did that it worked like a charm..thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.