Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueberryMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
With the coming demise of Rosetta apps on OSX Lion,
are there any ways of using MacMAME
(other than booting off an old Snow Leopard backup)?

A new Lion-compatible version perhaps?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
either take Windows MAME and run with with something Wine based...

or take the MacMAME source code and try to go through it and update it to be x86 (intel)...

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Like I said, OS X Mame works like a charm, but I only use it for CPS3-games. My collection of CPS2 and SNK games, I run in Macmame.
I don't want to go and update all my rom-files just to be able to play in OS X Mame.
Macmame works fine in Leopard, and it will continue to do so when I upgrade to Snow Leopard next week.
Why do you want to upgrade to Lion already, unless you're going to buy a new mac ?

RRRize

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I'm running OS X Lion Golden Master and MAME. It loads just fine and the old ROMS work. However, I've only played Ms. Pac Man and Jr. Pac Man and there are performance problems. Every few seconds there are brief black outs and pauses in game play. I can be playing nicely for 20 seconds and then there will be a pause of about 1 second in game play which will cause me to have to reorient myself on the maze and hope that during the blip, a ghost monster didn't approach me head on. I have theorized that I might just need to reinstall MAME. I will probably try it this weekend and update you guys (if Lion retail release doe not come out first).

madbriuk

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
mame

hi lads my mame worked fine on snow L and when i downloaded lion from the app store it still worked fine BUT i couldn't find the rom folder to put more games in so i deleted it all and started again and now mame loads up but i got no games now and i carnet find any make folders,PLEASE HELP.
lion as also slowed my boot up time,I have a ssd drive.
MAKE SHOULD BE {MAME} Can i turn this spell thing off lol

ghilallo

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Mame OSX in Lion

Hi All! Something strange is going on. I used to to use MacMame, but after having upgraded to Lion I knew I had to move to Mame OSX. The problem I'm facing is that, after having downloaded the .dmg, what I get from decompressing it is just the executable file (MAME O X), not the Folder (MAME OS) with all its sub-folders under Apllication Support. Any idea?

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
For Mame OS X the old folder should become ~/Library/Application Support/MAME OS X/

So you'll have ~/Library/Application Support/MAME OS X/ROMs/ etc

furtive

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Banff, AB
OS X MAME works fine in Lion for me

No trouble at all besides needing to know that rome go in ~/Library/Application Support/OS X MAME/ROMs

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Hello

I play old games and emulate, if you do this you really need to return to Snow Leopard as I did and others are doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.