Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Just got a new Power Mac G5 (1.8GHz June 2004) model. Wondering what to do about a new hard disk...

I'm not expecting this computer to be lightning quick, it's nearly 7 years old, but I don't want a hard drive so slow that it becomes a constant bottleneck. I also need a decent amount of storage, 1TB at least, even more would be nice, though I'd settle for a faster 1TB drive now and think about adding a slower larger hard drive for media later (I already have 500GB of music in iTunes.)

I've found the Western Digital Caviar Green Series (2TB, ~5,400 rpm, 64MB cache, 3 year warranty) for sales for AU$100. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this drive or has any recommendations.

Also found a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 7,200 rpm drive for $80, though the reviews I've seen actually seem to indicate it being slower than the Caviar Green.

Quick question: got a June 2004 Power Mac G5 which uses the SATA II standard for connecting hard drives.

Would a SATA III hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX) work in this Mac?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, the Power Mac uses SATA I. Can't use the drive. :(

OK, the choice is as below:

Western Digital Caviar Green, $100, 2TB, ~5,400rpm, 64MB cache

and

Seagate Barracuda, $80, 1TB, 7,200rpm, 32MB cache

The price difference is a non-issue. Straigh up I will be using ~600GB of the drive, but I'm unlikely to come close to filling it anytime soon.

If the 2TB ~5,400rpm drive is only marginally slower than the 1TB 7,200rpm drive, I'll take the 2TB one, given the fact it has double the capacity. If however there is a significant different in everyday computing tasks I'd go for the 1TB drive and possibly re-asses the situation in a year or so when I have more cash to play with.

Again thanks for your help !

Last edited by a moderator:

sirozzy

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
@home
EDIT: Nevermind, the Power Mac uses SATA I. Can't use the drive. :(

Did you actually test it? I remember that Sata2 will work on Sata 1 easily. Just on speed of 1.5GB/s not 3GB/s so i assume is the same with Sata3. I might be wrong as i never used Sata3 so far but logically it should be backwards compatible.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Did you actually test it?
Nah don't have my hands on the new G5 yet.

I remember that Sata2 will work on Sata 1 easily. Just on speed of 1.5GB/s not 3GB/s so i assume is the same with Sata3. I might be wrong as i never used Sata3 so far but logically it should be backwards compatible.
From what the specs say, 2 is compatible with 1, 3 is compatible with 2, but 3 is not compaitible with 1.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Just jumper the drive to SATA 2 and it will work on 1 and 2 just fine.

I have a SATA 3 WD Black in my G4 tower on a SATA 1 PCI card.

Edit:

I would get the WD Green if performance isn't a major concern. They are actually 5900rpm. If speed may later be a concern then rather than the Seagate I recommend a WD Black.

Seagate used to be the best drive maker but since 2008 or so I would say WD is the best and Hitachi is 2nd.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.