Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karant-rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
Ok I am gonna get a new MBP and was computing if a 128gb SSD would be enough for my requirements. I wanted to know how much space would virgin OSX Lion take up on a brand new MBP?? Also how large is the recovery partition??
Also I am gonna bootcamp win 7 for a few games so how would you divide the space between osx and win7 partitions?? I will have around 15gigs of games at a time on the ssd.

MaxBeagleton

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Upstate NY
On my iMac, the recovery partition is 650 MB. I did a "normal" install there. On my MBP, I did a clean install, and I think bare Lion was about 4 GB, but I don't remember for sure. With iLife, iWork, MSOffice, Lightroom, Photoshop and Xcode, I was quickly up to 20 GB.

bert484

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
I upgraded from Snow Leopard on my MBA. Before, I had about 28.9GB of free space left on my 64GB HD. I have almost exactly the same, now that lion is installed.

jkk4

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Probably you can delete printer drivers and other languages to free a few GBs.

Things that use more HD space are:
-Videos
-Music
-Photos

Videos you should put inside an external HD. Check how much songs and photos you have (and estimate will have in the future) to see if the 128GB is enough.

Special mention to Adobe apps. If you install Adobe CS suite, expect dozens of GB occupied.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
I tried to install a fresh copy of Lion to a 8gb flash drive and was told I didn't have enough space. So, I'd hedge to 10.6gb number would be accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.