Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skorpian23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I noticed when I connect via File Sharing to my Lion Server, I see the Hard Drive as a Shared Folder. (I can see Applications, Library, Users, etc.) How can I remove it? I cannot have users having full access to my Mac Hard Drive. I confirmed the Hard drive is not in the list of Shared Folders, I only have a few folders enabled for sharing.

Also, I have an external hard drive (Drobo) in which I shared a few of its folders. However, the root of the File Share is also showing up when my Window client's connect to the server via Windows Explorer along with the folders I explicitly specified. I also checked using "Get Info" on the Droboe Device, and it is not set to share.

Any ideas? Not sure if this complicates matters, but I do have the primary hard drive setup with Raid 1 using Disk Utility.

Thanks
========================================
Website Development and Hosting at www.cs2.com

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
If the hard drive is showing as a shared folder it means you specifically shared it - at least with the logins/usernames that you are connecting with. It wouldn't show up otherwise.

Look in the information side tab of the hard drive and double check what users you are sharing it with.

Macgrab

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
I have the same problem. I just got a brand new Mac Mini with Lion, created a single account, shared a single folder, and accessed the Mini from another mac. I can see the folder I shared, but also the only user's home folder, and the hard drive as shares. I definitely did not share any other folders than the one.

skorpian23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply, but the Hard Drive is NOT shared. I confirmed it, however, it still shows up. I noticed it only shows up for users that have Admin privileges on the Mac. I create a non admin account and they do not see the Hard Drive. Any thoughts?

skorpian23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
FYI, I have given up on Lion for now. I am re installing Snow Leopard. Lion just does not work well in an environment with Windows clients. Here are some additional issues I have found:

1) Lion Server cannot act as a AD Primary Domain Controller
2) Lion Network Accounts cannot connect to Lion Server File Shares from a Windows 7 Client. (Local accounts do connect)
3) Using Local Lion Server Admin accounts see the Hard Drive as a Shared folder, even though it is explicitly not shared. (Non Admin accounts do not see the Hard Drive as a shared folder)
4) Certain Windows applications cannot open files stored on the Lion Server via File Share. iTunes library and Quicken files are the two I tried and will not work. Basic MS Office files open fine (Word and Excel).

Good luck to the rest of you sticking it out with Lion Server.
===================================================
Unlimited Web Hosting and Free Domain Names www.cs2hosting.com

macrg103

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I have the same problem. The only folder I have authorized for sharing is my public folder but my hard disk and user folder are available on the network.

nurv2600

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Mac OS X Sharing

Thanks for the reply, but the Hard Drive is NOT shared. I confirmed it, however, it still shows up. I noticed it only shows up for users that have Admin privileges on the Mac. I create a non admin account and they do not see the Hard Drive. Any thoughts?

Since 10.5, (and perhaps earlier), by default, if you log in as an admin, ALL mounted volumes, share points, and your home folder are available. There are no GUI utilities to change this, and to the best of my knowledge, no easily-changeable system flags via Terminal either. Any non-admin logging in sees their available shares (as defined by permissions) plus their home folder.

8aseem8

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Since 10.5, (and perhaps earlier), by default, if you log in as an admin, ALL mounted volumes, share points, and your home folder are available. There are no GUI utilities to change this, and to the best of my knowledge, no easily-changeable system flags via Terminal either. Any non-admin logging in sees their available shares (as defined by permissions) plus their home folder.

So you mean that if ANYONE is:
- On a wireless enabled computer
- Logged in as an admin
- Connected to my home wireless network
can access ALL my files on my iMac if I have File Sharing enabled?

So basically, the password on my home's wireless network (WPA-PSK) is the only means of security that is protecting all my files from the outside world (e.g. Someone with a laptop parked outside my house)?

Grootstyr

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
I think he meant that every admin-account you create on the lion server has that properties.

Admin accounts not created on the lion server should not.

Edit: By the way, if you have Lion server running, you can also enable Radius on the lion server and use WPA for Enterprise using a Radius login with a shared secret AND login.

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
Strange question, I have the opposite problem. The drives AREN'T showing up for admin users and I want them to. Anyone got any idea why they don't show up?

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
After searching for weeks I have just suddenly found the solution

sudo serveradmin settings afp:admin31GetsSp = no
sudo serveradmin stop afp
sudo serveradmin start afp

Enables admin users to see Volumes instead of shares, so presumably if you change no to yes you'll disable the volumes as you want

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.